Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Hip List, Fall 2010

Following is a list of the things, people, and activities that have the Ballard Homestead buzzing as of late.
Our Favorite Things, if you will.
Just in time for the holiday season.
Though no fancy gadgets are included.
And there are no free gifts.
Just...the list.

1. Silly Bandz in the form of Spiderman, Princesses, and Toy Story.
Yes, we have partaken of the trend. I blame soon-to-be-Uncle Austin. (but what I really mean is thank you for the gifts, it really was rather thoughtful)

2. This:
It means "I'm angry at you," or perhaps "I am grumpy for unrelated reasons and taking it out on you," or perhaps "You stepped on me" or perhaps "You took my toy" or perhaps "You smell like poo." (though that last one doesn't really apply...it is quite normal for someone to smell like poo at any given moment around here. We all stopped judging a long time ago.
I tried outlawing this hand gesture but eventually gave up. Now I throw it out there every once in a while. So, it can also mean, "I worked hard on this dinner and you won't even try it" or perhaps "Daddy is working late tonight and I don't appreciate your attitude" or perhaps "You smell like poo AGAIN?"
(Okay, so maybe I still judge when it comes to that.)

3. "Nephi's Courage"
The current song they are learning in primary and nursery. An old favorite of mine. We sing it constantly. James especially likes to sing it while using the bathroom. I especially like to sing it when the kids won't obey. (I usually then receive the previously mentioned hand gesture.)

4. "My Turn on Earth"
JC let me buy this at Deseret Book on sale a while back even though I am pretty sure he thought it was the end of enjoyable tv viewing as he knows it. We have been watching it on our van's DVD player for the last couple of weeks. Much to my joy, the kids love it. They walk around singing the songs all day, in between verses of Nephi's Courage. It also makes for good conversation while driving in the car. Like stuff about the plan of salvation, repentance, and why the guy in the red hat who is Satan is a good guy minutes later.
I love it.

5. Spelling
Bethany has been big on reading and writing for a while now and she is GREAT at it! James has recently caught the fever as, suddenly, one day, he learned to spell his name and now wants to spell everything. He usually has some sort of writing utensil in his hand and will use it constantly. (Just come to our house and the scattered papers, walls, and table surfaces will tell the story) Ben has not started writing yet but he will spell out loud, walking around saying things like "B-E-N." The most exciting and productive use of this new favorite past-time is a new way to insult each other. When they get angry at one another, you can often hear things like, "I don't like J-A-M-E-S." and "I'm not going to play with "B-E-N." (Bethany does not receive a lot of insults this way. It pays to have a long name.)

6. Playing outside
Oh the joys of the return of nice weather!!!
We wait ALL summer for this time of year to roll around!!! The hard part is remembering to balance it with other things. Now that we have places to be...school, preschool, etc. we can't spend all day every day playing outside in the beautiful weather! But...we do try. Soon, our winter grass will be grown in and we will have access to the whole backyard!

7. Netflix
We finally ditched cable completely and opted to sign up for Netflix. We have, thus, stopped watching as much tv, stopped spending so much on tv, AND branched out in our viewing. What used to be Nick Jr. for the kids has turned into Eloise, Super Why, and Kipper. What used to be all kinds of good stuff for us (still getting used to it) has turned into disk after disk of Smallville and 30 Rock. Really, it has taken some getting used to, not having that trusty DVR around, but
it's a good thing.

8. Church Meetings
Yes, an odd thing to have on this list. But, after years of half-activity in half of our meetings, we have finally managed to achieve some level of consistency when it comes to those good ol' three hours. The kids getting older, better functioning immune systems, stronger resolve,
more responsibility, whatever the reason may be...we are showing up. And it feels nice.

9. School
Bethany loves kindergarten. She loves her teacher, her friends, her work. She loves it all. Every day I ask her what her favorite part was. Every day she says "All of it." Every day I ask her what she didn't like about her day. Every day she says "Why would you even ask me that? I love it all!" James is loving preschool. It took him a while to get used to letting me go at the start
of the day but now he's a champ. No more tears, only excitement! They are both doing so very well. And we are proud of them! Ben loves school because, during school hours, he gets mommy to himself. That's quite the prize, if I do say so myself.

10. Rockwell
(Bethany and Rockwell walking to school)
Rockwell is a darling little boy who is in our ward and also happens to be in Bethany's class at school. He is so cute. He is so sweet. And he is super cool. Just ask my boys. Every day, they wait for the end of the school day so they can say hi to Rockwell. Some days we even get to take him home from school. If Rockwell doesn't hear something they ask him, or doesn't notice when they say hi, hour-long screaming fits break out and melt-down mania takes over.
Rockwell is our Rock Star.
And a gracious one at that. He always takes time to talk to his admirers.


Such is our list.
Such is our life.





2 comments:

Malinda said...

I love it!!! We love you kids all of them! Wednesday is a half day. Let's get together. Come over and we have lunch and work on your folder games while the kids play :)

katilda said...

I need to employ that hand gesture at work! Sometimes grown-up world smells like poo!! Also…kippppeerrrr. And Eloise :) That particular name makes me particularly happy. Someday your ninos will have a cousin Eloise. Ellie if they must. Also…I want to be Rockwell’s friend too. Mostly when he marries Bethany in about 17 years.

Word: tyisimp. …wasn’t she dating mr tumnus?