Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ballard Birthday Boy #1

That's right. Three.


Well, really, Ben's birthday comes second out of the August birthday boys but for some reason I am doing his post first. Maybe it's because it is taking up the majority of space in my August picture folder.
You know how I am.
Maybe I should just find a way to attach my entire picture folder to an email and just send that around instead of blogging. It would, essentially, be the same thing, wouldn't it?
But then nobody would get the clever commentary and we don't want that.
(And when I say clever I mean...silly and unnecessary.)

As a side note, I just slapped a table so hard my hand is now burning. I get a little overzealous when it comes to spotting mosquitoes in my house. I want those suckers DEAD! DEAD, I SAY! But...I usually miss. Which is why my boys' limbs are swollen in one spot or another most of the time. The darn blood-sucking nasties get to them. Which is why I slap tables.
Ouch.

Anyway, I am making this post longer than it has to be. (which is really long, believe me.)

Let's talk about something fun.

A birthday boy. A three-year-old one.

So, first item of Ben's birthday...the cake. My cake-decorating-brilliant-artist sister, Monica, had trekked back to Idaho for another semester of school. Which is great for her but...left me to work out the cake decorating for myself. At first I was quite nervous since Ben was expecting a grand production after seeing what the other two had gotten (their birthdays happen to fall during Monica's break!)...but since I like a good challenge, I got excited about trying my hand!
After quite a bit of googling, utilizing my friend, Jenn's, recipe blog for a great fondant recipe (thank you!), and phone calls and texting to Monica for advice and encouragement (thank you!), I knew what I wanted to do and how to do it.
It took me like, three nights in a row working on it to get through all the steps and put it all together, but...I did it. And it turned out just how I wanted! Yay!



Well, the decorating did. I attempted three times to make a decent homemade cake with the good stuff like whole wheat flour, applesauce, raw sugar, agave, etc.
I failed three times.
(Ali had the audacity to be unavailable the night I needed her expertise and advice. I cried over the phone to her husband while he laughed at me.)
Funfetti Boxed Cake Mix?
Funfetti Boxed Cake Mix.
With the rainbow chip frosting as a filling in the middle. I mean, come on, as long as we're doing it the bad way, might as well make it real bad. I love rainbow chip frosting in a major way.

So, anyway, I got it all done the night before his birthday. And I was tired, so I didn't finish cleaning up after myself.

So I found this in the morning.
Powdered Sugar Babies.
(Don't worry, they're organic unrefined sugar babies.)

Yummy boy.

Sugar Mama.

The morning of his birthday, we planned an outing just for Benny Boy, Mama and Daddy. As is the tradition in our household, the plan was a meal out and his first ever Build-a-Bear trip! We were all excited. Bethany and James were equally excited as this meant they got to spend the morning with Grandma Teri. Always a treat!

Grandma came bearing gifts.
I love his little hands, all tensed in excitement!

We did breakfast at The Good Egg which, if you love breakfast food...count me in...is fantastic.
Ben loved the coloring without anyone else stealing his crayons or trying to color his picture.

He is getting really good with his coloring!

He was overjoyed to find out that such a thing as chocolate chip pancakes exists in this world.
They do, my child, they do.
The funny thing is, he loves scrambled eggs so much, he ate more of those than the pancakes.
I, of course, stepped up to the plate to make sure the pancakes did not go to waste. (Instead...to my waist)


On to Build-a-Bear!
Ben picked out a bear and proceeded with business as usual.
Choosing a heart for the bear.

Giving it a good rubbing for luck.

And a kiss for love.

In it goes!

Of course, his bear needed a bath.
He was kind of hesitant about this...the 'bath' is rather loud.

Time for bear to get dressed!
Is anyone surprised at the Buzz Lightyear atire?
(If so, you must be new here.)

So happy.

Ben and Mama get all the info entered into the computer.

He even did some of the typing. He loved this part!

I always want to take the kids to see the puppies whenever we are near a pet store (yes, it's about them, not me...)
Ben made friends with this guy:
and this guy:

and this guy:

Later in the day, we had a fun surprise as rain poured down for the first time in a while!
Everyone went out in it!

And just enjoyed getting soaked.

James even convinced Daddy to chase him around in it.

Then convinced Bethany to do the same.
As...animals...?

Ben was not about to be convinced though. He takes a while to get warmed up to the idea of playing in the rain.

But always eventually does.

It's just too much fun to pass up!

Speaking of fun, he loved his cake.
Here he says, "oooh!"

And he and brother excitedly investigate!

He stamps it with his approval by blowing out the birthday candles!


James waits patiently, fork in hand, for his slice of cake to land on his plate.
This is always his favorite part. He has such a sweet tooth.

Birthday boy gets his piece first though.
He forgoes the fork.

Guess it's a boy thing.

I think he may be hugging his cake.

After cake is all over, Ben gets his gifts from all of us...
Bethany and James were probably as excited as he was and therefore did much of the opening for him. (and the playing...)

He loved his gifts.


Mostly centered around Toy Story...in case you didn't guess.

One more gift - - a birthday rainbow just for Ben.
At least I like to think so.
Maybe Daddy Mason didn't want to be left out on the gift giving and put in a request?
(The black spot on the picture is a special gift from James)

The next night we had a family dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's house!
We celebrated all the August birthdays...Ben, JC, and Bonnie.
Fun.
Bethany "helped" Ben open his presents by making sure they were a surprise.
He didn't especially love this.

But, he did love THIS...
more presents!
(Again, with a recurring Toy Story theme, of course)
Andrew and Bonnie win the prize for finding the world's largest coloring book. Hilarious.

Katie wins the prize for balancing small plastic animals on her head.
And looking cute while doing it.
(Katie! Look how long and pretty your hair is!)

Monica (though she was not there) wins the prize for bringing this guy, who the kids clearly love, into the family:

That's right.
The weekend after Ben's birthday, my little sister (no matter how old she is, I will continue to refer to her as such) got engaged!!!
Monica and Austin are getting married in January!!!

The future Mr. and Mrs. Christiansen
Um. Darling.
We love Austin and are so excited!

It was a very exciting birthday for Ben, with the fun ranging from Build-a-Bear to rain to presents to a soon-to-be-uncle.
All are favorites.

Ben is just the love of my life.
Okay, so, that is probably his dad. BUT all my kids also have their own special love-of-my-life-spot in my heart. They are also all favorites. :)
The reasons to love Ben are so endless...every little thing he says and does is just so charming. Even his temper tantrums seem adorable sometimes. Seriously.
As he grows and his personality comes out more and more, I just can't stand how lovable he is! I love spending time with him. He is very easy to be around and is so so generous and kind. He always wants everyone to be happy and doesn't mind a bit when he has to go out of his way to make it so. He is always the first to share a toy, give a hug, smile a smile, say sorry, make a silly face...
He is such a blessing to me and everyone else in our family. Just like Monica will always be my little sister, he will always be my baby. I think I'll always call my kids my babies but since he is literally the baby, I sometimes forget that he actually isn't anymore! And then I remember and I want to rewind and do these years over again and again. I can't wait to see what grown-up Ben will bring to my world but I never ever want Baby Ben to go away! (Um...yes, I know he kind of already has but you have to bear with me as I take my time grasping that reality! Haha)

Turning three was so fun for him and I just know he will have a great year!!!

No comments: