Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pasta, I mean, Hunting Season 2010

Back in August, JC went hunting. He didn't get drawn for the regular season so he pulled out his bow and got it ready for some action. I think archery is a pretty darn cool skill so I am always excited for him when he gets a chance to do this.
However, it seems kind of ironic that last year he actually got drawn for the actual season and was unable to go...but then this year he was all set to get out there and...nothin. But I'm learning that is just kind of the way it goes!
Anyway, he still got to go hang out up in the mountains and enjoy some crazy rain. After a summer here in the valley, that would be a welcome prospect to anybody!
Since he was going to be gone for several days, I started coming up with ways to make it a time to look forward to for me as well! You know at least one of these ways was going to involve food. Cooking, eating, I love it all. So, I decided to find the perfect recipe. And then a super chick flick kind of movie to enjoy while I enjoyed my creation. I am pretty sure I blogged about this and asked for suggestions, movie-wise. I got some good feedback!


On the first night he was gone, my kitchen counter looked like this:

I made this Grilled Chicken with Lemon Pasta

You can tell from some of the ingredients sitting out that I almost made these Salted Caramel Brownies.

I decided against it. It was for the best.

The weirdest thing just happened. I typed the word 'caramel' right at the moment that JC, from the other side of the room, said the word 'caramel.'
And we actually don't talk about caramel all that often.
It was quite strange.
...maybe it's a sign that it's time to make those Salted Caramel Brownies...

Anyway, after I succeeded in making my pasta and chicken (starting with making my noodles from scratch, thank you. I love doing that! And, here's a secret...it's not actually very hard at all...just sounds like it would be. So I am not as cool as I sound. I just have a strange obsession with making things from scratch. Makes me feel like a woman warrior) I proceeded to enjoy it all (and boy did I) watching Pride and Prejudice.
Yes, that was the first time I have ever watched Pride and Prejudice. And I haven't read the book. I know, I am fired from the female race. But...not really, okay? I really like it here.

Anyway, the weekend went pretty well for us...at least I think so. Haha it has, unfortunately been so long I don't really remember. But I do remember that I got markers out and we colored with them all weekend. Paper, walls, selves...all covered in marker. What kid doesn't love that weekend?
Oh, and Bethany threw up. I remember that.
Vomit stays with me a while. Not literally, thank heavens. Mentally.

JC came back home earlier than planned due to not much luck and not much good in the way of weather! Alternating between scorching heat and violent rainstorms would not be my cup of tea either. Not that hunting men have 'cups of tea.' More...manner of...brew...anyway, the conditions in general were not his manner of brew. Hopefully next year he gets drawn for the actual season!

We welcomed him back quite happily and were sure to engaged him in some pillow fights to celebrate the return of the king. Of our abode.

Here's some shots of that...in our half painted soon-to-be-master-bedroom-still-the-playroom-though...

James makes preparations.

Ben follows suit.

Unfortunately for them, Daddy always retaliates.

Mid-fall

Mid-hit. Yesss.


It is fun to be able to send JC off and know that we will survive. When the kids were all babies...not so much. And I was never glad about that. But, here we are and it's only a matter of years before Bethany and I stand on the front porch and send the boys off on their hunting trips all together! Or...perhaps she will want to go too. Or...perhaps I will surprise us all and be riding right along as well...if I run out of pasta recipes to try.
It really is too soon to tell.

3 comments:

JJLanier said...

Next year just bring the kids and your pasta recipe to my house! I even have a pasta machine- just not a drying rack. I would love to learn from an expert pasta maker! We're getting ready to send Joe off on another stretch of hunts. And when he is gone I rarely cook much of anything!

Melissa Ballard said...

Dang Pioneer Woman.... and dang you for introducing her to me. ha ha ha Now I have 2 more recipes to try as these both look sooooo good! I am so stuck on her blogs now that I count down to the time of her daily posts. Yeah, I know, pathetic. I blame you though. ha ha ha

Adam and Emily said...

Sounds like fun...well except for the vomiting part. And I probably have the movie Pride and Prejudice memorized! Yet I have never read the books either. You aren't alone