Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More on the Move...

Oftentimes as we are embarking on this or that...cleaning, yard work, moving things around in this old house of ours...we talk about how nice it will be someday when we can work on things as a family.
As in...kids helping.
Yes, yes, they help with stuff quite often. But I'm referring to the kind of help that is...um...helpful and not just endearing.
You know exactly what I mean.

I love our kids, I love their little helping hands and their eager hearts! And I always love the opportunity to work on something as a family, even at this phase where working together mostly means trying to just sort of accomplish the task at hand in a somewhat timely fashion.
A lot of the time working together also means JC working with the kids while I take pictures.
Because it's so cute.
I do stuff with them too but it's usually when he's at work and Scout hasn't learned to use the camera yet.
He's so lazy.
(He just looked at me when I typed that. No joke. Weird.)

We are still working on getting the downstairs in order. I use the term 'working on' very loosely here. It is slow going. But a few weeks back, JC got the pieces of the entertainment unit that had been holed up in the workout room moved downstairs.
With the kids' help.
I had to document.

Bethany helped him get things all squared away, ready to transport.

James checked to make sure things were nice and tight.

And Ben double checked.

Then they all sat on the couch eating baked pita chips that Grandma Teri had dropped off while Daddy did the heavy lifting down the stairs.
I helped a little.

It took everyone to get it in place...

Why I didn't take a picture of it all put together and in place, I don't know. I blame it on the stresses of the move.
And the fact that I'm not getting up and getting a picture of it now and adding it to this post I will blame on the affects of cold medicine that I finally caved and took last night.
It makes me really weird.
And apparently funny. My sister told me that I was funny today.
I don't think I normally am. So...if I am ever in a position where it is important that i be funny, i know where to turn.
And if I am ever in a situation where making the letter 'i' capital is of the utmost importance, i know to not use this computer. I keep typing it and sometimes it capitalizes it and sometimes it does not.
iIIIIiIIIIIiIIIiI
You can see what i mean. Aha! Again!

Okay, really time to be moving on...

More of the move...

For the first little while, James had a hard time adjusting to the fact that we were sleeping upstairs now while he and his siblings remained downstairs.
Me too.
But this is not about me.
There were a couple of nights during the first couple of weeks that...

...this happened.
He would come upstairs, fall asleep in our bed, then be transfered.
They are alway so tiny and cute in big ol beds.

Another side affect of the move was a period of time in which my closet in the master bathroom (that used to be the toy closet) was completely empty. After being the toy closet for years, it had acquired a certain level of grossness that required cleaning before transferring all my stuff in there.
And you all know how on top of my cleaning I am.
So it was empty for a little while.
The kids decided it was a prime opportunity for...

...this.

The little monkeys.
I snuck in and got this shot before she knew I was there.
When I said something, she jumped so much it was lucky I was there.
To save her from...a four foot fall onto...soft carpet.
But when you're three feet something...that's a lot!

And...they both found their spots.

I really wanted to get them in trouble for this. I did, I did. But, sometimes I really understand where they're coming from. Much of my childhood sacrament meetings were spent daydreaming about climbing up onto those ledges along the tops of the chapel walls that hold fake greenery...making myself a little nest up there in which to sit and read.
What?
That is a normal childhood daydream.
(Did anyone else ever daydream about living at the church? All those rooms!!!)
Anyway...the need to climb onto ledges must be hereditary.
So...i do my best to empathize and yet also be clear about safety issues. But all that aside, seriously....

So hard to be mad at this.

More adventures soon to come!

1 comment:

katilda said...

Oh but you ARE normally funny. I read your texts out loud to people all the time. Usually because I laugh and they get curious. But sometimes because I demand to tell them, whether they are curious or not. I retract my funny statement. You were being…random. But no, we do that often too. So I guess you were being normal. Good work. Also, the only thing actually keeping me from scaling those ledges in the Elliot building was the scratchy wallpaper. Perhaps that is why the Church in invested in it. Other than wanting to give clumsy children abrasions.

Word: cabillat. A misspelling of that singer, Colbie Caillat. (weak, I know)