Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkins


The very first day of Fall Break, we ventured back to our autumn-time stomping grounds...Mother Nature's Farm. Every year I swear we won't go back because it's so crowded and so dusty and everyone always gets sick afterwards from all the gunk in the air.
Gunk is a word.
But this year, JC convinced me to give it another try, perhaps this time on a weekday morning when he didn't have work.
Turns out it was one of his good ideas.
He does get quite a few of those.

It was fun to have plenty of room to run around and take all the time we needed to choose just the right pumpkin.
And take lots of pictures.
Of course.

If we were to live on a farm I don't think I'd get any actual work done.
My kids look so darn cute on a tractor, I'd spend all my time snapping pictures...



I managed to get Bethany and Ben to pose for me amongst the pumpkins...

...James was a no-go. Too much to explore!

We got to see how we all measured up this year at this "How Tall This Fall?" pumpkin. Cute.
Ben was right at three feet! He and James decided that it must be a measurement in relation to age. Since he's three, he measured in at three.
It's only logical.

So, when James didn't measure up at four, he took matters into his own hands.

Bethany and her cowgirl boots, getting taller every year!

Yay, I still manage to measure in above five feet! I fear I may shrink down someday...

And JC comes in at just over six feet, like always. Tall, dark, and handsome!

The rule with the pumpkins is that if you can carry it, you can choose it.
James likes to push his limits.

So does his sister.

As usual, Ben was not far behind.

As JC pulled the little flat-bed wagon up the hill so we could make our purchase, the pumpkins started to topple off. Before I could make a move, the kids ran to the rescue, holding the pumpkins steady and helping to push the cart up the hill.
We would have rocked as a handcart pioneer family.
...if all we were traveling with was pumpkins...?

James helped to pull the handcart, I mean, wagon.

The kids got in a little more playtime, climbing around on the pumpkin hills...

...and posing for pictures.
So cute.

Such personality.

And such excitement at the baby chickens!
I want to point out Ben's hand in this picture. I am not sure what he was doing but does he not have the longest, lankiest hands ever??
His feet are the same way.
And I love them.

And Bethany loves baby chickens.

If it weren't for city ordinances, we might have some of our own.
In addition to that pig I want.
And a goat.
And...a couple turtles.
This would all also be contingent upon our ability to sudfficiently take care of the pet we already have. Poor Scout, we do try.

Anyway, we had a good time. Maybe next year we will go on a weekday again and perhaps wait until it is no longer 100 degrees outside...
(Good news though...as I type this, the temperature has finally begun to drop to levels supportive of our autumn state of mind!)

1 comment:

katilda said...

Bethany is looking very Punky Brewster and I WANT HER OUTFIT. You know I would wear it. You know I would. And umm…who in our family DOESN’T have lanky fingers and toes? Mostly the toes. Except mom’s baby whales.

p.s. don’t you bring up wanting pet pigs around me. I get sappy. Someday, Sherlock & Watson. Someday.

Word: mismso. The expressive tempo at which you must sing Christmas songs in the church choir whilst having a festive BUSH pinned to the front of your dress.