Monday, December 14, 2009

Speaking of helpers...

So, I just mentioned in my last quick post that James has taken to helping others in the way of gentlemanly gestures.
Ben's current helping phase centers more around contributing to whatever my efforts are at any given moment. If I'm folding laundry, he makes sure to handle each article of clothing after I do. If I'm working in the kitchen, he gives some applicable household task a shot. If I'm helping Bethany spell a word, he shouts out a few letters as well. If I'm attempting a shower, he tries to break down the door so he can rinse off too.
It's so touching.
The other day I was working on dinner/unloading the dishwasher. Ben wandered in...

"What making mama?"
"Orange chicken, baby."
"Huh?"
"Orange chicken."
"Huh?"
"Chicken with yummy oranges."
"Huh?"
"Rice and some yummy chicken."
"Kickin?"
"Yes, chicken."
"Oranges?"
"Yes."
"I want oranges!"
"Okay, I'll put some on your plate."
"No, I want oranges in my hand!"

...and on it goes.

He uses this time to assist in unloading the dishwasher. I had already cleared out the knives as soon as the cycle finished, knowing that one of the kids was bound to find their curious way in there. To help, of course.

And help he did.
He chose to work on silverware so I went ahead and put the tray on the ground so he could actually see what he was doing. Bethany had already unloaded some of it earlier.
Seriously, they like this job.

You notice the tray above is empty. It is not because I was that behind in dishes. (But yes, that happens.) It is because he decided to take everything Bethany had put in the tray and get it ready to put back in the dishwasher. All together on one side.
A little silverware bouquet.

With so much help, it's a wonder I ever get anything done. :)
Oh, wait, that's right...I don't really!
But I figure if I manage to not squash their desire to help in these little ways and let them freely contribute, maybe just maybe I'll have less of a fight on my hands when they are actually able to help!
And if not, they will at least know that their contribution is valued. I think that's a pretty good feeling to walk around this world with.

2 comments:

Jamie Taylor said...

Such a good mom, and such a good attitude. My boys love to help with dishes as well. Mostly, they like to rinse the same dishes over and over, but there have been occasions where Sammy puts the silverware away, or they both stack clean cups so I can put them up high. I totally agree that if we let them help, and encourage it, they will feel more loved and hopefully have the desire to do it when they're older. :) At least that's my hope, right?

Carrie said...

so true. all of it. you are the cutest little mommy around. :)