Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rainy days are the best for play!

This winter has held some fantastic weather...perhaps making up for the uneventful monsoon season we had! Gilbert has enjoyed some beautiful overcast days and, amazingly enough, rain occasionally! A couple of weeks ago, as we moved into December, we bailed on rest time to do some running around in it all. None of us could stand sitting through a movie while there was puddles to splash in!
(Um...plus, I knew that if they ran around and got nice and cold and worn out, they would willingly take it easy for an hour or so following!)

Ben joining the trees in enjoyment of the downpour.

My puddle jumpers.

We built a little shelter over the open garden gate with one of the sheets meant for covering the fruit trees in too-low nighttime weather! Haven't had many of those nights yet so I thought we could use the sheet for something.

Speaking of fruit trees...how gorgeous is this thirsty tangelo??

Unlike regular lawnmowers, this one operates quite well in the rain.

After play time, true to my prediction, the kids more than willingly stripped off their wet clothes, bundled up in warm blankets on the couch and enjoyed a Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas viewing. We even had a little bit of a splurging moment and I made them some hot cocoa to enjoy as well. They had never had it before and haven't had it since. It's like the Legend of the Rainy Day Hot Chocolate around here! They are very much looking forward to Christmas Day when we have told them they can have some more!

Speaking of rest times, the reason I am posting this in the middle of the day is as following: Bethany is at Grandma Trudie's today "helping clean"/getting out of the house so she doesn't go crazy/letting me focus on the two sick boys. (Thank you, Mom.) James fell asleep halfway through the rest time movie. Ben was not interested in cooperating at all, even though I was sitting with him and holding him, trying to get him to fall asleep. Finally, he told me "Go in office, Mama." I told him I was going to hold him, to which he once more bid me go in the office. So, I settled him in and came into the office. I just poked my head into the playroom and he is out like a light.
What??
Ah well, at least I got a post up and now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go join in the napping festivities.
What?
I'm allowed.

No comments: