Friday, December 18, 2009

JC and Mandy, Part 1: Then

Yesterday, December 17th, was our 4th wedding anniversary. :)
In honor of that, here is a copy of something I found while rifling through a box of letters that passed between JC and I while he was on his mission. This time period is one of the best in our history because we wrote often and talked about everything on our minds, in our hearts, and on our plates. (I do mean that figuratively, though I really would not doubt if we actually talked at moments about what we had eaten...)
This is one of the less serious correspondence that we shared. These circulated crazily from missionaries and their pen pals back in the day. If you are someone who was on a mission during this time period or a girl writing to missionaries during this time period, you will probably groan and roll your eyes once you get to reading. I got a few in jest and that is most definitely how JC intended it, but for him and only him I actually filled it out and sent it back, knowing that, between us, it would be one more thing to joke about and make fun of each other for.
I know, cheesy.
But it's good for a laugh now.
Seriously, I am quite embarrassed/irritated with myself when I read over it. But he put up with me.
He still does.
I share this less out of a desire to give anyone a glimpse into a version of me that is no longer applicable (seriously, some of my answers on this thing have me questioning a complete swap-out of identity at some point in time), but because I think that it really represents and gives a glimpse into our relationship at the time and the sense of humor we always had between us. There is nothing like the hard work of a committed relationship and family life to try to squash a sense of humor between two people who love each other, and it's refreshing to read over this and realize we still have that going for us! (though JC may argue that it applies only when I'm not pregnant...) :)
Take an amused look:


Application To Date Return Missionaries of the Idaho Pocatello Mission
Form #000213RM
Application to Date Return Missionary

Dear Miss (if Mrs., disregard and destroy this application),

Due to the high demand for returning missionaries from the Idaho, Pocatello Mission amongst the Daughters of Zion, we have patterned this form to avoid the confusion and chaos that we have caused in the past. Your cooperation in filling this form out in its entirety is necessary for us to be fair in our deliberations. Use only correct, pertinent information. If any of your answers need further elaboration, please feel free to write on the reverse side of the application. We strongly encourage you to send a "keep missionary happy" photo as well. If this photo is not enclosed, your application will be voided and rejected!
In filling out this application please remember 2 Nephi 9:34. (**Reads: "Wo unto the liar for he shall be thrust down to hell." - - Nice.) This application is to date...
Elder: Ballard (Spud), one of the fine Idaho Pocatello missionaries.
(**I wrote "Spud" in...since he was serving in Idaho, I started calling him Elder Spud...you know...potatoes...spuds...yeah...I'm awesomely creative.)

Part 1 - Identification
Name: Mandy Marie Hawkes
Address: I'm in between right now (**I was about to move from Gilbert to Provo)
Phone: Same deal.
Were you: adopted, born, hatched, kidnapped, found on a porch, raised by apes, other? Other - - born in Texas.
Age: 20
Date of Birth: March 26th, 1982
Height: 5'4"
Weight: You're kidding, right?
Eyes: brown
Color of hair: varies
Natural color of hair: brown
Length of hair: To my shoulders (sorry, I cut it)
Shade of tan: dark, medium, light, ghost? Medium Excuse? Never in the sun, but gotta love the natural tan I get from my dad!
Type of Girl:Farmer's Daughter, City Slicker, Hippie, Cowgirl, Beach Bum, Ski bunny, Northern, Southern, Californian, Other (please specify)? Put all of the above in a blender.

Part 2 - Family Background
How many brothers and/or sisters do you have? 1 brother, 3 sisters
Can they be bribed? Yes.
If yes, with what and for how much? Doesn't take much (**haha, siblings of mine, I don't know exactly what I mean by that...maybe it's because some of you were still young enough to be bribed with candy and/or promises of unicorns?)
If you have brothers, list their ages, heights, weights, 40 yard dash times, and maximum bench press: age - 16, height - 5'8"?, weight - I don't know these things, 40 yd dash - really fast, especially if he's motivated, max bench press - more than you weigh (**I was pretty confident in my brother's abilities...)
Do they own guns? No.
Do they approve of RM's? Yes. I think they are eager for a brother-in-law.
Is there a history of mental illness in your family? Um...I don't know.
Do you have any rich uncles? No?
If yes, how rich?
How old?
Do you have a dog? No.
If yes, what breed? Yes.
Is he known to bite? No.
Does he have his shots? Yes.
Can he be outrun? No.
How does he feel about return missionaries? Yes.
(**Pretty sure I got bored with this part of the application and just started alternating answers...)
Are you familiar with Colosians 3:21? No, I guess not.
Is your Father? Yes, probably.
If not, please read it to him if selected! (**Reads: "Fathers, provoke not your your children to anger, lest they be discouraged. - - I have no idea how this is applicable. But my dad was always pretty good at following this advice, for the record)
Is your father friendly? (**Here I just drew a smiley face. I'm not sure what that was supposed to mean! Haha)
Does he own a gun? lots (**not true at all)
If yes, what caliber? um...what? If more than one please list.
Is your father an: expert shot, good shot, fair shot, poor shot, deadly shot, big shot, hot shot? Definitely a hot shot.
Does he own any other devices capable of causing bodily harm? Lawnmower.
Do your parents approve of return missionaries? No.
If no, why not? So far, they've all been disappointments. (**Hello, bitter. Haha)
How often does your family hold family home evening? Four times a week. Okay...once.

Part 3 - Dating Habits
If selected, which would you prefer to do? (rate each item on a 1 to 10 scale): Dance - 9, Movies - 6, Concert - 10, Park - ?, Cuddle - 10, Bat Hunting - 10, Tracting - 6, Roller Skating - 2, Submarine Races - 9, Play Monopoly - 0, Watching the autumn leaves change color - 4, Necking - take it down a notch, sicko, Camping - 10, Hold hands - 10, Sumo Wrestling - 1, Romantic Evening Home - 9, Making out - (**I drew a smiley face here as well...I think the smiley face was something I used when I wanted to be intriguing and mysterious. Ah youth. But, I swear this was never something I went around doing! Seriously...mom and dad...and I don't know why I was trying to be mysterious about this with JC. There was never anything he didn't know about my dating life so he knew I had nothing to be mysterious about in that category!) Star gaze - 10, Anything, as long as you get the chance to date an Idaho, Pocatello Mission Return Missionary - 10 (Well, anything except playing monopoly. Sorry, I still hate it.)
Do you kiss on the first date? Yes, No, Depends on the boy? Depends on the boy. (**This is me being 'intriguing' again...I can recall the small number of boys I ever kissed and none of them were on the first date! I feel the need to defend my honor, apparently...truth be told, I never kissed a boy I didn't love. And I loved some boys I never kissed. And...shoot, this is about me and JC, right? So, back to that...)
When you kiss, do you: Close both eyes, close one eye, eyes open? Close both eyes, weirdo.
Do you get: breathless, speechless, pass out, all of the above, none of the above: None of the above. I spaz out and hide behind trees. (**Again, JC knew everything about my dating life ever. I bet you want to hear this story. Yeah? Not gonna happen. And only JC is allowed to make fun of me for it. And...maybe one other person.)
Do you breathe when you kiss? (**I didn't answer this question for some reason. Maybe because it's obvious?)
How would you rate your kiss?Passionate, Romantic, Good, Fair, Poor, Wild, Lifeless, Other? I'm rather versatile. (**Oh dear.)
How long do you kiss?1 sec, 10 sec, 1 min, 10 min, 1 hour, longer: Longer. A talent. (**Did I not think about the fact that my future children could read this someday? Again, mom and dad...false answer for amusement's sake. Everyone can proceed to make fun of me for caring what my parents think about my past habits...)
Do you use mouth wash? Yes. What brand? It's Colgate, I think?
Are you: Aggressive, Affectionate, Cool, Friendly, Forward, Nervous, Cuddly, Kinky, A Tease? All of the above.
Are you familiar with the martial arts? Yes
If yes, have you ever used them on a date before? Yes.
Do you feel it's important for your date to have a car? Unless he wants to carry me.
Dating transportation preferred: Rolls Royce, Cadillac, Limo, Corvette, Lambourghini, Trans AM, Pick Up, Jeep, VW, Harley Davidson, Taxi, Bus, Bullet Bike, Mountain Bike, Skate Board, Wheel Barrow, Bike for Two, Something that runs? Pick up
Would you ever go dutch? I'm sorry, I don't know what that is.
If you were selected to have a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a date with an Idaho Pocatello return missionary, what would you like to do on that date? On the back, please give a detailed plan of your ideal first date.
If I had the privileged, once in a lifetime chance to go on a date with a returned Idaho, Pocatello missionary such as Elder Spud, the date would begin in the morning and end near midnight to guarantee as much time together as possible.
Assuming we're in our hometown for this date, we would go eat breakfast, in our pajamas, at 'The Farmhouse.' (re-creating homecoming, I think? We ate there, right?). Oh, and Elder Spud would be driving 'Chelsea' of course...though we'd have to do his searching. (**Chelsea is what JC named the old firebird he used to drive. After he went on his mission, I bought it. It promptly fell apart, leaving me car-less. JC denies knowing anything about the various problems that existed with this car when I bought it. Says I didn't love her enough.) Then, once we'd changed into our normal clothes, we'd drive up north somewhere and go snowboarding 'cause I've always wanted to learn, and Elder Spud has seen me fall down enough times to not care too much.
When we came back into town, we would go eat at Wingers and order like, four plates of food (re-creating the time we...well...did that.) Oh, and when we were in the car, we would listen to Brian Reagan and be able to say every word along with the cd. Oh, but we would also need to make a stop at Flancer's Cafe...wait, hold off on that, I have a better idea. After wingers, we would drive to downtown Tempe, at ASU, and climb A Mountain, sit at the top, and look out over the city while the sun went down. Once the drunk people started climbing up the mountain (about 10pm), we would leave. And we would go rent 'Storm of the Century,' the Steven King movie, take it back to my place and watch it until it was over, at like, three thirty in the morning (forget what I said about midnight) (re-creating the day before the day before you left). Then, we'd put in 'Pure Luck'...sleep through most of it, probably, wake up at a decent hour, and go to breakfast/lunch at Flancer's Cafe, on Gilbert Road. And I'd eat a buffalo chicken sandwich and you'd eat...well, whatever you want.
The End.
(**For having nothing romantic going on between us at this point in time, we were really quite cheesy...)

Part 4 - Personal Information
Is your testimony: good, fair, poor, strong, out to lunch, apostate, changeable, not there, as solid as the rock of Gibralter, atheist, other? Hanging in there! (**Yikes, must have something to do with the bitter phase I was having!)
Do you attend church? Yes. How often? Weekly.
Did you graduate from: grade school, jr high, high school, college, trade school, other? High school
Highest GPA attained: 3.9
On a 1 to 10 scale, rate the following: Hootie and the Blowfish - 8, Puff Daddy - 9, Garth Brooks - 8, Matchbox 20 - 7, Rancid - ?, Ska - 9, Punk - 10, Rap - 2, Jazz - 4, Reggae - 4, U2 - 7, The Village People - 5, John Tesh - ?, MoTab - 10, Country - 8, Techno - 2, Top 40 - 10, Bush - 8, No Doubt - 9, Dave Matthews Band - 8, Pearl Jam - 6, Nirvana - 6
Please list any other bands/types of music/singers: The Calling
What is your favorite song? "Down Together" - The Refreshments
(**I really feel like I had no idea who I was, musically, at this point in time. Yikes. Though, Down Together is probably still one of my favorite songs))
Do you: Please easily, covet, stay mad, gossip? Please easily?
Other shortcomings? beyond melodramatic
Sense of humor: hilarious, giggly, fair, poor, grim, chuckly, belly laugh, dead pan? dead pan
If dead pan, what made you so bitter?
Return missionaries
(**I made myself laugh just now.)
Are you presently employed? No.
Where? I hate working!
At what wage? Hate it!
Can you get me a job there? Ha!
List by number your favorite food: BK Whoppers -
7, Pizza - 3, Hot dog - 9, Ham sandwich - 5, steak - 6, Fruit - 4, Tacos - 8, Oriental - 1, Italian - 2, Greek - 10, Other - Last time I ate Greek food, I threw up. But apparently I still like it anyway.
Can you cook? Yes.
Can I eat what you cook? Usually.
Can you sew? Yes.
How well? I made 3 friggin quilts.
Do you make your own clothes? No.
Can you wear the clothes you make? Yikes.
Would you wear the clothes that you make? hmm.
Do you dress mostly in: dresses, skirts, blouses, sweaters, sleeveless, low neck, pants, shorts, bikinis, WOW, other? Skirts for work and...pajamas?
Do you dress modestly? If no, explain. No, it's my way of repelling RM's. (You know I'm kidding.)
Are you familiar with the care of small children? Yes.
Explain: 4 younger siblings, 2 ex-boyfriends.

VITAL STATISTICS:
Bust: OH
Waist: MY
Hips: GOSH!!!
Is your figure: good, fair, poor, distorted, perfect, WOW, other? good.
Please rate your overall appearance on a scale of 1 to 10: 2? (**This answer received a stern lecture in the answering letter. I think he thought I was down on myself...I think I may have been but probably just found it completely uncomfortable to rate myself...)
If under 5, please explain how you obtained this application: I think there was a mix-up in the mail...

In the box provided to the right, please place an imprint of your lips. IMPORTANT!!! If this is not complete, the purpose of this application is a failure and your chances of obtaining a date with a return missionary from the Idaho, Pocatello Mission are lessened greatly!!!

(You SO owe me for doing this!)
(**I actually include this image on here because in a letter following this, JC made fun of me for the fact that I had probably practiced my lip print several times before finding one I liked well enough to glue onto the "application." ...He was right. And he still makes fun of me.)

What is your favorite reading material: scriptures, novels, classic books, newspaper, Ensign, New Era, Friend, National Geographic, Time, missionary letters, kiss and tell books (**what the...), applications for dating return missionaries, others? Scriptures, novels, missionary letters, sports page during baseball season only
List your favorite color: red
Favorite TV show: The Wonder Years
Sport: baseball
Form of recreation: flirting
Thing to do: manipulate you :) (**JC always was a softy and I made a game out of seeing how easily I could convince him to do things...it was no longer fun once I realized the lack of challenge. He was just too darn easy going/eager for my happiness.)
Other: ...I'm watching Ozzy Osbourne on tv right now...
Are you: soft spoken, loud spoken, spoken for, other? Soft spoken
Do you want to get married in the temple? Yes.
Which one? closest one
Are you eligible for a temple recommend? Yes.
How do you feel about multiple wives? Don't go there.
Do you understand the patriarchal order and are you willing to live it? Yes?
How many kids do you want? 5 (**Hahahahahaha...maybe we should have spaced them father apart then!)
Length of preferred engagement: I don't know, 3 months? (**JC and I were engaged 2.)
Idea of a perfect honeymoon: as long as I get to wear lingerie I'm happy... (am I supposed to say that?) (**JC's mom is reading this and thinking NO! Haha)
What occupation do you prefer your husband to be? No preference.
Where do you want to live? here, AZ
Are you willing to work to help out financial matters? I'd rather raise our children, thanks.
Will you go wherever your husband wants to go? Of course.


Part 5 - Miscellaneous Info Pertinent To Our Salvation
Do you presently have a boyfriend? Several. Haha
Is he a: heavyweight, lightweight, featherweight, judo expert, karate expert, wimp? Got at least one of each.
Is he: on a mission, returned missionary, too young going to go, not going to go? on missions
If on a mission or returned, where: all over the globe, baby. :)
If currently serving, when will he be back? varies.
Will you Dear John him? Yes? No? Only for a Pocatello missionary? (**The smiley face again.)


On a seperate sheet of paper, please furnish a blueprint of your living room, showing positions of the couch, outside exists, and all light switches. Also include all obstacles in the way of the exits.
(**I did not do this part because I had already included in an earlier letter to him a drawing of the layout of the apartment I shared with my cousin. I told you we talked about everything.)

In 5000 words or less, give your reasons for wanting to date Elder Spud. You may use the back of this form for your response. Please be honest and keep in mind that this will be important to your chances to get a date with him.

10 Reasons for wanting to date Elder JC...
1. to keep him away from jerk girls that would just mess with him (**I have, clearly, always been fiercely protective of JC)
2. no one knows me better than he does
3. no one knows him better than I do!
4. We have a cat together (chip) (**a beanie baby cat JC left with me while he was on his mission...I gave it back when he returned, and now our kids run around with it and several whiskers, possibly some limbs, are missing. And Bethany re-named it Katie.)
5. I was already referred to as part of his family when I bought his car
6. He'll eat my cooking.
7. He let me keep his thundercats shirt for 2 years (wearing it as we speak) (**This is true. And I also got bleach on it at some point while doing something crazy with my hair. Also gave that back. Also now have it back in my possession.)
8. My brother likes him.
9. There's not a soul in this world that would treat me better.
10. When my heart was broken, he fixed it.
(Sorry, I got mushy. I won't do it again.)

All forms are to be done in full and written either on the reverse side of these pages, or on any additional paper that you may attach to this form.
Again, dear sister, any photos, cookies, cheesecakes or pies would be most welcomed and certainly helpful in classifying your application. NOTICE: All forms, photos and/or bribes that you care to send are final and will not be returned. All forms are to be subject to the above named elder to be judged by his discretion.

Please sign the contract below to verify that all answers are accurate:

I,
Mandy Marie, do hereby certify that all answers are true and these questions have been answered to the best of my ability. In return, for the completion of this applications, Elder Spud promises to consider me as a prime candidate to have the opportunity to be taken out on a date (and possibly to bigger and better things) upon his returning from the Idaho Pocatello Mission.

How'd I do? Once more, you owe me... :)


Well, that was a blast from the past.
Interesting how much two people can change, but still care about each other just as much...and more. So, anyway, a couple of pictures from back in the day...this is all before we were writing to each other on his mission, obviously, but still representative enough of "then."

This is us going to homecoming our senior year. Don't we look snazzy?
Okay, this one is obviously not of us but I found it with the homecoming pictures and I couldn't help myself...a friend of mine, also in our little homecoming group, found these wigs at our friend, Kevin's, house. For some reason we found it appropriate to stuff them in the sleeves of our t-shirts and pretend to be...European?
As I actually focus on this enough to type out an explanation, I feel less clever and more...twelve.
But I have to be honest - - this still makes me laugh.
This is after highschool when we went on a hike with our friends up in Sedona. Tons of great scenery which we could see from some really high places they made me climb to. I was terrified. Also, I was carrying with me a sweatshirt that I loved. The whole group of them convinced me that somehow it had gotten knocked over the edge of this horrifying ledge. In mourning for my precious tigger sweatshirt, I brought myself to peek over the edges, hoping to see where it had landed below.
I was distraught.
If you will, take a look in this picture, just a few feet to the right of me.
Green tigger sweatshirt lying on the ground.
My friends thought they were funny.
I love how JC is like, peering over the edge with me, being so nice in "helping" me find the sweatshirt because he cared so much about my happiness.
This still makes HIM laugh.


This last picture is us in Huntington Beach on a trip we took with some friends before his mission. I love it.


Now, if you aren't sufficiently sick of all things us, check back soon and I will have the "Now" of "Then and Now."
(Not to be confused with "Now and Then," the coming-of-age movie encircling a group of young girls. Totally different.)

4 comments:

Jamie Taylor said...

Now and Then is a classic movie! Ha!

Okay. I love the pic of you and Laura. I also love you peering over the edge of the mountain. And how cute were you guys at Homecoming! I didn't know you went together.

Thanks for the flashback! And I have to agree. You truly have changed--for the better. It was fun to read your answers during the bitter stage in your life. :) Good times all around!

katilda said...

I can't decide where to begin commenting on this. I should have kept a list of the things I thought of. I'll settle with the fact that I laughed out loud that Bethany renamed the mangled cat after me. Apparently, I have made a good impression....I also like the part where you answered the questions about your "dog" right after saying you didn't have one. Nice. And when u answered the sewing question by saying "Three friggin quilts." That's also my word of choice when I feel frustrated/exhasperated. I think it throws people off. Also, that homecoming picture doesn't show how short that blue dress was. That's right, I said it....

Today's word: Brontris. Either a) The species of dinosaur that roams in the nethermost cavities of the throat cavern, leaving germs that cause sickness, or b) your bulgarian name when you have hair coming outta your sleeve like that. Gertrude Brontris. Bruce or Gertie for short.

Adam and Emily said...

You guys are so funny! And hello!! I totally remember that trip to Huntington! Do you remember us trying to use the match or whatever to get rid of your ear infection!! priceless!!

Carrie said...

i loved this post! partly because i've been going through old stuff while packing and was already in a reminiscent sentimental mood. weren't we so silly sometimes? and if you think about it, we should have been pretty mature by that age. haha. one of my favorite answers was "i'd rather raise OUR children, thanks." i thought that was cute...being that you're married and all. and i laugh everytime i see that picture of you and laura too.