Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Phoenix Zoo and Grandma Too!

At the beginning of November, we took the kids to the Zoo. This time of year is perfect for such an outing. We invited Grandma Polly to come with us and we were very glad that she did! Turns out she hadn't been since her kids were little like ours...quite overdue for a visit if you ask me! It was really a lovely morning when we headed out and, as always, I have WAY too many pictures to share as proof. Believe it or not, there are more I would have posted, except I'm trying to cut back...I'm just pathetic, I know. But I suppose when pictures of your kids are involved, this is just how it goes. 


Grandma Polly, Bethany, me and James heading down the trail to find us some animals to admire...I would like for everyone to acknowledge my bravery in allowing a full-length picture of my backside to be viewed by others. Especially when I am only in the beginning stages of finally working off all the...um...extra backside (and front side and...side...side) brought on by growing babies for the last four years. It's just too cute a picture to pass up because of such a silly issue...at least that's what I've been telling myself... ...stop talking now...
This is cute...James and Grandma looking at something interesting...I have very little talent for spotting animals all camouflaged in their cages...but they are so cute. James has always had a soft spot for his Grandma Polly. It just shows how much he takes after his Daddy Mason, who also has a soft spot for her. :)
We found a pretty peacock roaming around!
Grandma was a brave one and decided to offer it one of our pretzels. Don't worry, birdy, they're organic!
And, of course, the hole-in-the-tree pictures!
Here's sweet Bethany...such a photogenic child...
James almost wouldn't do it, but I'm so glad he was finally convinced, even if his focus is not quite on the task at hand. What two year old's focus is where it should be at any given time? But, isn't he handsome?
Ben is unsure, but cute all the same. I think he had dozed off in the stroller and just woken up right before we took this. I also think you can see my eye right by his ear.
And the traditional mom and babies shot inside the hollow tree! Ben is a little past 'unsure' at this point. I think he was just hungry. Or maybe mad about the irony of his shirt...one that dad clearly chose.
But, going with the hungry idea, we sat down to eat a very yummy lunch that JC packed. What a fantastic dad!
Here's JC and I doing the whole straight-arm picture thing...after being a couple for a while, especially after a few vacations together, you get good at this.
Grandma is helping James take a drink from a water bottle the size of his torso here...
Bethany is "so strong" (a phrase the kids use a lot) and does it all by herself.
Ben just enjoys his sandwich in the comfort of his stroller.
There are such fun tunnels and paths at the zoo! 
Our favorite part of the zoo is the farm area.  I love this bridge tunnel leading to it. I feel like it reminds me of some movie...I can't quite place it...though I do think there is a bridge like this on "Anne of Green Gables" at one point that you get a quick glimpse of...you know, when Gilbert and his dad are sitting there fishing? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of...Anyway...
I'm not sure if James was scared of walking by himself or if they were just being extra sweet at this moment but how cute!
Bethany has a very determined walk here. Perhaps she feels she is conquering the bridge.
The petting zoo is quite fun though it does seem to be purely a goat "zoo." No complaints though because I actually love goats...wish I had one as a pet...and they are pretty complacent when the kids are buggin them in the face all at once. 
Before getting interested in the goats, James did what he always does...climbs on something. Maybe that's his way of conquering.
Ben LOVED the goats. Here, he's making friends with one...
This cracks me up. Something about animals doing unnatural things sends me into hysterics.  I can, for some reason, laugh for days if I see an image of a deer jumping. It just looks funny! This goat it just taking it easy on the bench. Just thinking about what he must have looked like getting up there makes my day. Bethany and James don't care about all that...they are just excited about the goat.
I feel like James is having a conversation here...
"Yeah? I think about that sometimes too...what's your take on global warming?"
Apparently, more interesting than a goat on a bench - - a goat under a bench.
Ben's cute smile as he pets these guys just makes me want to take them here every day.
...Seriously, James, do you speak their language?
Two little guys
James and Bethany took turns practicing their tractor driving for when we live on a farm someday. Or...when we come back to the zoo...and take more pictures of pretending...
She seems to have it down!
They also try out the saddles.


Ben appears to take after JC more than myself, considering he is practically IN that water, pressed up against the glass like that.  Aquariums make my skin crawl. I am terrified of anything that lives in the water and here Ben appears to be attempting to hug the fish. I swear there were fish as big as he is in there...I'm not exagerating...

There is a gigantic stone frog, for reason unclear to me, in this one area of the zoo that is decorated to look like part of Mexico (reasoning also unclear) and it is a favorite of the kids'. I think because we let them climb so we can take pictures of everyone on the gigantic frog. It's strange the traditions that come about...
...Climbing...
They made it!
And, to end the day, a family picture...with the frog...
worth noting: as I'm typing this, my words appear to be making themselves into a link. I have no idea why or what it is linking to or how to stop it. Hmm. The adventures of amateur blogging...

What a fun day at the zoo! It was so fun to have a chance to have some time to just walk and chat with Polly and for the kids to enjoy being with her, us and each other with nothing to do but run around, explore and be kids! We love Grandma Polly, we love the zoo and we love the beautiful fall weather here in Arizona so it was a great combination for a great morning!

Also...
I still want a pet goat.

3 comments:

Jamie Taylor said...

You are so cute! I absolutely love your blog! I wanted to say that if we had the "MY MOM IS HOT" shirt, Sam would love having my kids wear it as well... but I would agree with you... a little awkward and ironic. :) But funny. :)

And, Sam and I LOVE the straight arm pictures! Kudos to JC for getting that one down so well. You guys look great...

Okay... when are we gonna hang out? My in-laws were just here and I have SO much to tell. :)

Adam and Emily said...

I love the zoo.... As soon as I have my 1st kid (even if they are only a couple of months old) I'm getting a season pass to the zoo! Also if you are going to get a goat get one of those fainting goats. You want a really good laugh? Google that... you will pee your pants

The Ballard Family said...

I am usually quite behind on all things youtube BUT we saw the fainting goats on some show JC was watching and I am pretty sure I DID pee my pants.
Then I showed it to my family and peed them again.
It falls into the category of animals doing unnatural things...it's just so strange, so sad and most of all, so delightfully hilarious.
I think I will ask for a fainting goat for my birthday.
Mandy