Sunday, December 14, 2008

Provo Time!

Once Halloween was over, it was time for me to get mine. Everyone else had their fun...and now it was time for my UTAH TRIP!!! At long last (well, sort of, considering I only found out I was actually going about four days before I left...I guess that doesn't qualify as a long wait...though the wait for me getting out for any extended period of time to do my own thing DOES qualify!)

I flew out on a Sunday afternoon, leaving behind mostly-well kids...meaning, nobody running a temperature...just maybe a nose...and a husband who hid any anxiety he was feeling very well. :) They all wished me a happy trip.
I had brought all kinds of busy things in my extra-large purse to keep me busy on the flight. All the things I have been meaning to get to but, of course, never do. But...I read instead. Which, actually, could count as one of the things I'm always meaning to get to but never do. So, I allowed myself that little indulgence. Just read a pointless, slightly depressing, slightly uplifting novel.
Upon landing in Utah, Katie picked me up at the curb and together we rejoiced. Then drove to temple square. Then I, in my newly acquired cold-weather clothing (I was so excited to have an excuse to wear a scarf, gloves and a hat) and Katie in her...not so newly acquired cold-weather clothing...walked around with our umbrellas (mine was actually her roommate's) as the rain trickled down on us taking in the beauty of Sunday Afternoon Salt Lake. It was lovely. We were lovely.

That night, we chatted it up on the drive home, I got deathly ill for about an hour (no idea), I gloried in returning to Provo, which will always be one of the great loves of my life, and we laughed and made dinner at her cute apartment for us and her cute roommates. And I fell in love with avocados.

Monday, I lounged. That's right, lounged in my hotel room. Which, by the way, the Super 8 Provo is more fantastic than I believe I even almost expected. Perhaps the spirit radiating off the BYU campus permeates the walls or something. But I was very comfortable and thrilled with my stay there. Perhaps I should write a review or something on their website...never though I would be a Super 8 supporter...

So, anyway, lounged. Read. Slept. Cozied up. Ate apples that Katie so nicely bought for me to enjoy. Then, after her morning of not-lounging (read: working and attending classes), Katie made us grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches (avocados for two meals in a row) and we went shopping! And laughed. The shopping trip included all kinds of wonderful things like new boots for me (don't go on a trip to Utah in the winter with your thin leather flats as your only closed-toe-shoes. who knew?) and SEVERAL new pair of sassy heels for Katie, not to mention her first pair of skinny jeans. Yes, Katie, I am advertising your day of branching further out in fashion to show just how productive of an afternoon it was. I also bought JC a tie. Then, we ate Hawaiian food for dinner and saw a movie. Mama Mia. I'll say.

What a fantastic day.

More lounging.

Next day, stellar breakfast at Katie's favorite local place. Magnificent buttermilk syrup at Maggleby's. I can still taste it.

More shopping.

More laughing.

SNOW! (Katie says it was the yucky kind that is sleet-y. I didn't care. It was snow!)

Later that afternoon, we started driving back toward Salt Lake because we knew it all had to end sometime. We stopped for lunch at Wingers which is another love of my life. WHY oh WHY did they close down the Gilbert location? It was literally walking distance from where I now live!!! I would, single-handedly support that location!!! If only they had held out...but at least I can experience it in Utah.

Yum.

On to the airport...


It was beautiful weather. It was beautiful to have nothing more to do than hang out and laugh. I had so much fun. Such a breath of cold, fragrant, fresh air. I hope Katie enjoyed the nothingness of it all as well. She, the colorful trees, and the Super 8 Provo were fantastic hosts.

I came home to a mostly happy household...yet, Ben with a burning temperature that hung around for the next two to three days. Feverish, sad, miserable baby. Good thing I got that breath of fresh air. :) It was a rough week that followed. It started the cycle of sickness all over again and we have been riding that since. November and on into December. But, I am happy to report that everyone's immune systems are starting to kick in very well and we don't get near as sick for near as long. Heaven be praised!

Also, the ability to take a spur-of-the-moment trip to Utah for nothing but the joy of it be praised. Thanks to my mom and JC for keeping my kids and house happy, Teri for picking me up when I got home while JC snuggled poor sick Ben, super nice lady giving me tickets and the big guy upstairs (as they say) for giving me a non-complicated traveling-by-myself experience. (I'm really a wimp when it comes to these things.)

I can't wait to go back to Utah. I can't ever pinpoint why but I adore it.

3 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

I guess there has to be at least someone who adores Utah. ;) Just kidding. Brett is quite fond of it and there are some things that I enjoyed/enjoy about it. I mostly just really hated the job market in the Provo area. That made my life miserable. But UT has it's perks and we loved our ward there. :)

katielizabethawkes said...

you made me want avocados. Also, the REAL snow has started coming down....and keeps coming down....and piling up everywhere....

i've seen about 50 near-death episodes of people slipping on the ice, and had a couple close calls myself.

But, there are good things to like about the snow.....like....an excuse to wear boots...and...

and...

well. i'm coming to arizona tomorrow, that's all that matters, eh?

Hawkes said...

You outed my laundry scandel!! How dare you! ha ha. And yes. Maybe I will post the kissing story. It was hilarious. The story will always be better in person though. ha ha