Sunday, December 7, 2008

Halloween III: Season of the Painted Pumpkins!

Since we had aquired some pumpkins at Mother Nature's Farm (aka "The Pumpkin Farm"...the kids still ask when we can go back...) we wanted to put them to some fun use but our little family is not quite to the carving stage. SO, we painted our pumpkins!

Well, the kids did. I promised JC we would carve ours later that night or the next since he loves doing it and hasn't gotten to the last couple of years.

So, we got some paint ready, got the kids ready and headed out to the balcony to do some painting. Ben mostly just sat and watched. I tried painting his hand and putting a handprint on his pumpkin, but that didn't go so well. One-year-olds don't like to stretch their hand out nice and wide then hold still enough to make a print. So, he was satisfied with throwing his pumpkin on the floor repeatedly. And, like most non-dangerous things, if it makes him happy, I'm all for it. It only broke a little.

Bethany and James were painting champs though. Check it out...




All dressed in some old workout shirts of daddy's with the sleeves rolled up. Don't they look like adorable little angels???

They got right to work once they were out there with paintbrushes in hand!


Having so much fun!


Even Ben is enjoying just watching.


They were actually pretty careful and responsible with the paint that had been entrusted them.


Well...mostly...


This is James' concentrating face. He did it a lot through the project. I LOVE it.


I think Bethany forgot to make her concentrating face...


But, all is well.


Ben got a little tired of being left out. Next year, my love.


Concentrating face...


My little artists!


James got a little destracted from the task at hand and decided the sheet acting as a tablecloth needed more visual interest. A splash of blue here, a pop of green there...


What a nice smile. It makes me so happy when I find an activity that they genuinely enjoy!


Messy hands!


More messy hands! (Is it just me, or did they not get near as messy as you would expect? I get messier than this just making dinner!)


Then they both added some finishing touches...







Lovely.




I am actually a bit sad that I didn't get pictures of the finished product. The evening just went on, we were tired, we all went to bed...then the next few days came and went...the pumpkins sat on our kitchen table as a nice centerpiece...and I never took a picture. Ah well. I figure they had a blast doing it and that matters more than a finished-product-picture, right?


And I am very sad to report that JC and I never got to carving our pumpkins. We were too tired that night and the next day Ben started getting really sick (yes, again). So, that pretty much took over all of my doings.


Honey, I PROMISE. Next year. We will carve pumpkins together. Promise. No matter what it takes, I will be sure that you get to carve a pumpkin with me sitting at your side, admiring your work.


It's a date.














1 comment:

Jeff said...

Mandy,

I'm a terrible cousin. I am so bad about getting to blogs. I am assuming the "thriller" came from your blog. It did not load until I was half way through the blog and it kind of creeped me out because I had no idea where it was coming from. Though I had a virus!

I love James's concentration face. Speaking of faces, I was just thing about baby Monica who could make any face imaginable.

Heads up. I'm in town on business and am planning on seeing the family. I'll call you later with details, but for now, just know it's coming and let me know if the household will be up to me dropping by to say hi.

Have a GREAT week!