Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Perfect Excuse for Making a MESS...

The patient of JC's that had given me a buddy pass for my Utah trip has a liking for sugar cookies. So, I decided I would make her some from a fantastic recipe I got off my friend Alissa's blog (Thanks, Alissa! They really are so good!!!) and pass the recipe along. One evening, I decided we should all make up the dough together and make it a family event. I love doing things like this as a family. I want the kids to remember working together on projects big and small. Though it would probably be easier to wait until they are older and more of a help than a hinderance (anyone who has done any kind of activity with toddlers knows just what I mean), I like to try taking the extra time and patience now, whenever I can. I think it will be worth it in the end. That's what this phase, having small children, is about, right? Slowly wittling away at your sanity because the end product (happy, confident, connected children) is worth it! And, of course, it's always fun to make a mess. :)
Once we had the dough made, we cut out a few for us before I made other (more...um...symmetrical, less sticky-finger-handled ones) for our buddy pass friend.

James is figuring out how to roll out his little blob of cookie dough so he can get to the fun part of choosing a cookie cutter to shape it!
Bethany chooses a more conventional method and pats hers flat by hand. That's my preference too...I can't work those rolly things for some reason...at least she has embraced this method and saved herself years of fighting the rolly thing. 
(It is not quite as late as I seem to be sounding like it is...)
Ben humored me and allowed me to help him pat his blob somewhat flat before stuffing it in his mouth (his poor digestive system!). I knew I shouldn't have turned my back to find just the right cookie cutter for him!
The first of our cookies to make it to the pan to be cooked...a seahorse, a fish and a cat...
And the finished products. Everything from a duck to a hand and even some plain ol' circles. Aren't we a creative bunch!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

those look like the sugar cookies i made last easter with abbie. we ended up with flower, heart, foot, hand, and of course, the letter A.