Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Real American Dream

We've all heard about it - - the white picket fence. I find myself among the Americans who have one framing my front yard (or at least a corner of it!) . . . it is, after all, one of the reasons I knew I HAD to have this house when it practically fell into our laps. Who could pass up a white picket fence?
Well, anyway, two years later I have discovered that there is one thing more American than the All-American White Picket Fence - - a white picket fence strategically turned into a rainbow picket fence by toddlers who have discovered the joys of sidewalk chalk (who are we kidding..."sidewalk chalk"? Try "everywhere chalk".) Gazing at the "mess" I decided that it wasn't actually a bad thing. To have a free and happy family...yes, one full of children who can giggle together while they color on something other than the sidewalk...isn't that what the American Dream is all about?
I think so.

No comments: