Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Start of It All - - Dinosaur World

It's been a long time coming...and this fall it will finally happen.
Preschool for James.

In the meantime, as I wonder how he will take to a structured setting in which there isn't as much room for 'I would rather do this right now, thank you very much'...we decided to take advantage of Evergreen Cottage's Summer School program.
Summer school for preschool?

Yeah, I know, I thought the same thing. But, rather than an attempt to up the ante academically, Evergreen uses their summer school program as several mini day camps for eager-for-fun little ones. Every week runs Tuesday through Thursday, for just two hours a day, each week having its own theme and standing alone from all the other sessions. Nothing is a continuation of the week before, just an opportunity to come play, learn, and be submerged in a mini science camp, mini cowboy camp (a la Andy on Toy Story), or a mini beach vacation among others.
Looking for a way to ease him into the environment in order to set him up for a fun-filled fall, we signed him up for two sessions, the first of which he did last week.

Dinosaur World.
What a great way to start the summer for a 4-year-old boy!

The morning of his first time ever being the one to go to preschool, he drank up everything having to do with getting ready.
Literally.

This backpack has been waiting for this opportunity.

As has this boy.

Big Sister was thrilled for him. She is so sweet and encouraging of her little brothers.

James had a GREAT time. All three days. He jumped right in and loved getting to do fun things with new friends. Miss Jody said that, true to my predictions, the transition times were not his favorite ("I'm not done playing with play-doh, you guys move on without me" "I am not interested in cleaning up the toys so we can do something else, you go ahead" "Have fun playing outside, I'm going to head on in and color") but after some gentle encouragement, he was along for the ride!

I knew he would be.
It's not Miss Jody's first rodeo.
And besides that, Mr. James is amazing me every day with how grown up he is becoming and how interested he is in progressing. He has always been very content in a lot of ways but now I see a more interested, ambitious James emerging. Sometimes I'm not sure how I feel about that, to be honest! :) He is such a sweet boy and when my sweet boy starts growing up there comes with that a little bit of worry that he won't be so interested in snuggling with mama anymore. :) But, I have to say that he shows no signs of trading sweetness for preschool so I can probably stop worrying!
We are so lucky to have little James and we are proud of his courageous new endeavors!


Seriously, how can you not be in love with this boy???



No comments: