Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Harvest

I don't know if I ever told you, but I love our fruit trees.
I am always pulling for the little guys (and gals) as the weather changes, the wind blows, and we, their keepers, are trying to get the hang of a good watering schedule that will not kill them.
Poor little peach tree. He was such a hearty little fella.

- - moment of silence - -

It is hard to mourn for long, though, when The Plum, right next door to The Peach (may he rest in peace) had such a fabulous season. In this guy's first year, he brought us quite the lovely amount of small, sweet (sometimes sour), happy plums for us to enjoy.

The first day I plucked the ready little ones from the tree:
Every few days, I will get about this much off the tree. I will probably pick the last bunch here in the next couple of days.

It has been wonderful enjoying such a great treat.
See the excitement?

It makes me want to grow all of our own fruits and vegetables.
Someday!
But, for now, it has been a wonderful first plum season!!!

2 comments:

Kenton Hawkes said...

I'm so glad that you did not inherit my lack of joy/desire/skill with regards to gardening. If I was Adam and God told me to leave the "garden" I'm sure I would have said "Thought you'd never ask. Is that my patch of bare dirt over there? Good, I can handle keeping that up. Here are my gardening gloves made of skins. I won't be needing them."

Carrie said...

i'm thinkin' maybe we should start with fruit trees at this house before the veggie garden. those look SO yummy! and i think a tree might be a little less work? maybe?