Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fathers' Day

I always feel a little funny right around Father's Day. It is an uncomfortable thing to realize you are supposed to take a day - - only one day - - and somehow acknowledge your father and the father of your children for doing a great job at the hardest, most important thing they have done in their lives.
At least that is how it seems. :)

But, although it feels a little overwhelming in theory, in real life I happen to have not only the most fantastic men in a dad and a husband but some rather humble, laid back ones as well. So, any pressure I put on myself they quickly remove just by...being.

And this year, I had the privilege of hosting a family dinner on that very special of days. We had just gotten back from Heber the night before and with a semi-messy house and a semi-tired family, we were looking forward to some time to sit back and chill. Luckily, my family is really good at doing just that together.

Dad examines his extremely thoughtful and creative gift from Andrew and Bonnie (better known to me as 'Bondrew'...at least they are better known to my calendar as such. This next Friday - - 'Melting Pot and Eclipse with Bondrew' scribbled in. Easier to write...)
Anyway, I won't even try to explain the gift, I will just say that it was awesome.

Is it just me, or has our 'sit around and chill' factor been shook up a bit since Bonnie joined up...?

Andrew always makes the kids laugh.
Lately, his Donald Duck voice does the trick.

Bonnie takes over a calming-down story to help the kids...you know, calm down.
So sweet.

Our intention was to let the kids watch a movie while we played a game in the kitchen. And OH MY GOODNESS, it WORKED!
HA!
That has never worked before. It always sounds so nice when other people talk about family dinners..."Yeah, we played a game/visited/ate dessert while the kids played/watched a movie/ran around like maniacs. And yet I had not really ever experienced such a thing.
It was great!
It has been a while since I felt like an adult at a family gathering. :)

So, anyway, the kids and I had spent some time running around during the week previous, gathering up things like a specific brand of fruit snacks for JC and golfing gift certificates for him, my dad, and my brother (not a dad quite yet but his birthday was during the week so we included him in on the goods!). They all received their gifts of tee times yet to come and...the funny part is...and I just realized this...I am typing this up as they are using said gift certificates. Haha, so good deal.


It was great to spend all of Father's Day together as a family. The kids were really excited about celebrating dad. They even picked out a special Batman gift bag...which we forgot to use. We went to church, taught a Sunday School lesson/attended nursery/primary, took lots of potty breaks, came home, made enchiladas and strawberry shortcake, and just enjoyed another day here in our home.

Our kids are very very blessed to have the dad they do. He is patient, loving, fun, spontaneous, thoughtful, generous, and willing to serve. Which...dads have to do a lot of.

I and my siblings are very very blessed to have the dad we do. He is supportive, fair, kind, selfless, strong, caring, and eager to contribute to the happiness and success of his children. Which...dads have to do a lot of.

As I begin my journey as a parent, in these early years, I am often quite moved at the realization of all my parents have needed/wanted to do for me. As I begin my journey as an adult (I still feel like I am just beginning...perhaps I better whole-heartedly commit to this adult thing before I turn 30...just seems necessary), I witness more of the world and am often quite moved at the realization of all my parents have needed/wanted to do in order to build a strong family unit that, I believe, has made all the difference in the lives of myself and my siblings.
I am grateful for my dad, for leading that family unit.
I am grateful to him for being someone who so many admire.
Not that that has to matter. :)
But...it still says something about a person.
About where they've been, what they've done, where they are, and the direction they're headed.
I hope my road map looks like my dad's.

And I am so blessed to have a husband who is on board with a life that centers around leading his family in the right direction. One who loves the following quote:
"No other success can compensate for failure in the home." - David O. McKay
I, and my children, are so blessed to have an incredibly strong man in our home who can fix everything from an owie to the entire front of my van after a fender bender.
(What? Nothing.)
He leads, he guides, and most importantly, he walks beside.

This is all why Fathers' Day can feel overwhelming.
And why it is so worth celebrating!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

i totally agree with the overwhelming thing. i do always feel awkward around father's day and am also lucky enough to have a humble husband who doesn't demand much if anything.
i LOVE when the "kids in the other room with a movie" thing works out! sometimes that happens and us adults have just been visiting and we realize that we could have actually played a game because we haven't been interrupted in so long! haha.

Kenton Hawkes said...

Sorry. Somehow I missed reading this a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the kind words and for the golfing gift card. Although what I attempt to do with a golf club falls a bit short (or long or left or right) of actual golfing I do enjoy the time with the guys.