Sunday, November 15, 2009

JC "Owie Tummy" Update

I figured as long as I'm on here and talking about our family (like usual) I would give mention of how everything panned out with JC's surgery.
When he first started having a sharp pain in his stomach a few weeks ago and it didn't go away after a day or so, we figured he might have a hernia and took a little visit to the ER so he could get a ct scan and know for sure. Turns out that is what it was, as I've already mentioned. We met with a surgeon who works through the hospital who was really great, but also found out that our insurance might not cover it. (I am not going to go into details here because insurance companies are the devil and I don't even like talking about them.) So, after what felt like forever, we were told for sure that we were on our own in paying for the surgery, so JC found a good doctor who works out of a surgical center and knocked about ten thousand dollars off the cost of surgery.
Gotta love that.
Then, surgery got scheduled, and we just had to wait for the day to come.
All of the above took about three weeks, which felt like forever. JC was off work, except for a couple of short days here or there. As soon as he knew he had a hernia and was experiencing a lot of pain, he kind of signed off and his boss found a guy to fill in for him. Then, once the pain had subsided and JC was more able, this kid was already all scheduled in and JC had less opportunity to work, even when he was feeling well enough to. So, we have been spending a lot of time together as "a whole family!" (Bethany likes to say that when we're all together. It's cute.)
It's been really nice to have time together.
Anyway, the surgery was on Tuesday. Everything went well! From what the surgeon said, it seemed to be a pretty small, uncomplicated hernia as far as they go. The procedure was quick and easy, JC woke up sore but eager to go home, and I played nurse and tried to keep him happy and comfortable for that first day or so that he was really limited. That first day, the kids stayed at my parents' house. Overnight, even.
Seriously, my mom is so awesome. I feel like she knows just the right amount of help to offer...and then offers just a bit more. :)
JC and I both were very grateful that I could give undivided attention to him for the first day after his surgery. I really think it kept us both from getting overwhelmed. And with such a good start, it's been smooth sailing ever since, really.
And, speaking of help, thanks to parents and ward members, I have only had to cook once since the day of his surgery! We are so blessed to have people who think of us and help out. Someday, I swear, I am going to be one crazy meal-bringing, kid-watching, need-meeting force of nature among my family and ward members. People seriously do so much for us. And, right now, we do a lot for our kids. And sometimes each other. And, here and there, someone else. But, really, very little makes me happier than thinking about someday being in a position to serve others in the way I have been served.
(When I say it like that it sounds kind of like, "You got served"...)
So, anyway, everything is healing up fine, he's starting to move around more easily, and even though it's obviously still painful and hard to get very comfortable, I think he's recovering really well. I just hope that things keep moving along well so he can really get some good rest one of these nights!
So, that is that. Also, it's worth noting that, for the most part, the kids have really taken it easy on him! Even the cat won't jump up on his lap like he usually does, rather the arm of the chair he's sitting in. So funny.
The other night, Bethany, in her bedtime prayer, said, "Please help Daddy's owie tummy to get better soon so he can play in the balls with us again."
This is when I commit a heinous sin (well, maybe just if I lived in Salem round about the witch trial time) and laugh during prayer...
So, that's about it! All is going well, and he should be going back to work either right before or right after Thanksgiving. I am pretty sure he'll be restless enough by then to go back whether he is ready or not. :)

3 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

I can't even begin to explain my feelings about insurance companies. Satan does have accountants and account managers... and they work at insurance companies.

But I'm glad that JC's owie tummy got all stitched up. I can't even imagine the stuff that my child will be saying once he starts talking. With a dad whose speech is heavily nonsense-laden, the poor little guy doesn't stand much of a chance at normalcy.

I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving!

Peterson Family said...

I constantly wonder why we pay so much for insurance that covers NOTHING?! That's what 'reform' should be about.

I am SO glad that JC's surgery went well and that he's recovering nicely. That is wonderful news.

Your kids are darling and I LOVED the post from your sweet husband... which you totally deserved! Anyone who would create an entire FORREST out of their living room deserves a SPOUSE -OF-THE-YEAR award. Good for you (and your man too)! :)

Laura! said...

Mandy, if laughing during the prayer is a heinous sin, I think I may have a different persepective of where our family might be headed... :P