Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Back to Work

Yesterday was the day.
JC went back to work, leaving us to our normalcy. We've had him around, for the most part, day in and day out for the last month! I was expecting a good amount of separation anxiety (mostly from me...) as he went back to the old routine of long days at work. It has been awesome having him around so much! Even though he was recovering and doing a lot of resting, he never checked out of the goings on around here. He made an effort to be involved with the kids and do things for and with me, even when he could hardly move around! I wouldn't have blamed him if he just lied in bed or watched tv for the past few weeks. I feel very blessed to have such a kind husband who truly wants to be with and enjoy his family. It's not always easy, quiet, or fun (though a lot of the time it is that last one...), and I would not have minded if he whistled a tune and skipped out the door as he got to go back to work and do something different! But even when I don't expect it, he stays right in the middle of all the action.
And I love him.
And we did miss him. But, going back to normal felt very...normal. :) It was a good day!

But the best part was welcoming him home. It looked like this:


There was a tickle-fest.
Bethany and James got it all started.


Silly faces.

Vulnerable armpits.
(bet you never heard anyone say that before)


Ben opted out at first. He had something stuck to his foot and just could not enjoy himself until that was taken care of.

But the fun came to him before too long!



More turns for everybody!



Even though having him here all day every day was great, now I get to have my favorite time of day back! The time of day when pajama'd feet go running and squeals of "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" fill the air. When dinner is reheated and little fingers poke and open mouths beg at Daddy's serving of the stuff they wouldn't take even one bite of an hour ago. When we get to be "a whole family" (like Bethany says) after a whole day of not.
And I get to step out of the spotlight (a little) and watch my favorite people have a blast together.

Today, I have mutiny on my hands as the kids have realized that yesterday was not a fluke and he is gone yet again today.
If days were tucked away in categorized file folders, today would not go in the "good" folder.
It would go in the folder titled with words I don't say out loud.
But that's okay.
Because we have the best time of the day to look forward to still!

P.S. Do not blame Bethany for the fact that she is wearing boy pajamas. Blame the status of my laundry schedule...aka...me.

No comments: