Sunday, June 21, 2009

Social Creatures


Something about the warmer weather moves us to slowly but surely expand our horizons and spend more time with others.
I guess after last summer's bout with sickness, we're ready for a summer of more social tendencies!
Plus, with kids getting older, naptime not (AS much of) an issue, the wind of change blowing less forcefully through our world and a not pregnant, not (as) anxious, not (as) exhausted me running the household, combining our own schedule with that of others' is happening more often!
Oh happy day!
Actually, many happy days!
Here's a glimpse at us trying our hand at this whole thing.


Our little friend Rowdy recently got a new baby brother! In celebration, we have had him over a couple of times to give him somewhere to blow off some energy and his mama and new brother time to rest (hopefully) and enjoy some time together. On our side, it's a pretty good deal...an extra friend around to play with. This keeps everyone a bit happier and gives us a change of pace.
Bethany spent some time showing Ben and Rowdy the ins and outs of how to play with one of these bopper toys things. This is not the traditional method of playing. Instead, we like to assert our dominance to the toy not by bopping it and making it bounce back up but piling on top of it.



So cute...eating their lunch together. It's particularly funny that, at first glance, James and Rowdy appear interchangeable. They are so much alike in personality and preferances that dressing them alike just furthers the likeness!

We've also been fortunate to have had, and been able to make it to, a few family dinners! Sure, we've had our times we've had to call in sick (or crazy...haha) here and there, but mostly, we've been able to make it out to enjoy some time with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
I seem to have a lot of pictures of us hanging out with JC's mom and family...I think because there are cousins involved so I break out the camera more readily!

This was a pinata left over from Easter, I'm pretty sure. But, that was, unfortunately, one of the gatherings we came down sick for, so a month or so ago, out it came for everyone's enjoyment! Thanks to Grandma Teri and Aunt Melissa for not only putting this together but waiting until we were there to enjoy it to use it!
Ben attempts with hands only first:
Then, moves on to a serving spoon:
James gives it a try with the same spoon:
And graduates to the bat:
Bethany jumps right in with the bat! Look at that swing!
One of the kids' favorite things to do with Grandma Teri is "piggies."
"This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home...
...this little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none...
...and THIS little piggy went weee weee weee all the way HOME!"
Earlier this month, the extended version of the Ballard Bunch came over for dinner at our place. Ben asserted his attention-getting power by stripping down and climbing on the couch to make himself taller.

It didn't work as well as he hoped, so he took it one step further and began performing stunts.
But, James was busy building a puzzle with Grandma...





Bethany and Brittney were keeping busy with the dress-up...

and JC and Colton were wrapped up in some fierce Mario Kart competition. (Colton was apparently lacking on sleep because I'm pretty sure that's a hefty yawn he's got going there!)
Ben wasn't having it. Once he realized he couldn't pull his cousin away from his game...
He just joined in. :)
Ben has a cute connection with his cousin, Colton. He always gets excited to see him, attaches to him more readily than anyone else (well, except maybe Grandma of course!), and...it appears...wants to be like him.
Here's another day with Rowdy...
As I mentioned, he and James are so much alike! This can be really great or really volatile! Haha...they are so funny.
Here, James is establishing his territory and, I'm pretty sure, letting Rowdy know about it:

And here (though it's blurry...I think our camera is calling it quits), Rowdy lets James know he's not going to go quietly! I wish you could see his face more clearly in this picture! He is not messing around!
And here's his angel face!
Boys being boys! Jumping...climbing...
...xylophone-ing...
And when Rowdy was over one day, we discovered the joy of taking this big parachute thing we like to play with, piling everyone on it, and me pulling them around the kitchen floor! SO fun. Here, Bethany is trying to duplicate my efforts.
My sister, Monica, was kind/brave enough to come hang out with us one day as we did some shopping and spent time at a park. The weather was supposed to be nice so I thought the kids deserved some fun time out in it somewhere other than our backyard. Due to previous experience, I no longer attempt such things on my own. But, like I said, Monica was game and off we went!
After a successful Target trip, we came to this park in a neighborhood near ours.
Monica slid...
and pushed swings.
And enjoyed the swings a bit herself! (blurry, yes.)
After a while, the heat turned us into this:
and this:
Which soon escalated into this:
So, we went home.
We played and I made some lunch. Meanwhile, the kids convinced Monica to play some songs for them in the music room. Once lunch was ready, they were still pretty excited about the fact that they could request Primary or Disney songs and have them played for their enjoyment.
SO, I moved their little table into the music room and we experienced a dinner theatre kind of lunch!
Being serenaded...
It was awesome.

Just this weekend, Bethany had one of her first little girl-friend birthday parties. She's been to a couple birthday parties before but this was the sort of grownup kind where moms drop their kids off and there's a theme and activities planned, etc. So, she was quite excited! Turns out, her little friend lives kind of far from us...so she and I drove out and I stayed, making it not as much of a grownup experience for her! Haha...but between you and me, I don't think she would have wanted me to leave anyway! Wishful thinking maybe...but she is definitely her mother's daughter! My shy little girl!
Besides, when her friend's mom is one of my best friends, I think it's only fair that I get to hang out too! Maylee is Ali's little girl and Ali and I have been friends for years and years...my dad used to call me an "Ali-gator" when I was in highschool because I would hang out with Ali so much.
...It's funny the things you remember...
Anyway, true to our dreams from back then, we have little girls around the same age and they are friends. :)
In fact, when we were getting ready to go to the party, Bethany said to me, "Mom, I am so glad to go to Maylee's birthday party because she is my bestest bestest friend and I love her so much."
Ohhhh cute.

Here they are, working on one of the cute activites Ali had planned.
Painting...
Being cute.

Bug-hunting...(it was a garden-themed party and SO cute!)

Here, Ali's oldest, Teagan, is helping Bethany find bugs for her little flower pot. (Um, obviously, little pretend bugs that Ali had hidden...they weren't using this activity as a simple solution to some sort of insect infestation...)
I think this is cute because...well...because I'm pretty sure Bethany thinks Teagan is cute. :) And I'm pretty sure he thinks she is an extended little sister of sorts. :) It's really cute the way he was helping her and she was looking at him like he was her hero.

Maylee got her gorgeous cake ready with candles.
Oh, the anticipation! Bethany is mesmerized by the fire and Maylee is just so cute and excited!

I think this face is when Bethany found out she was going to have ice cream! Haha...we NEVER have ice cream. But dairy is not as much an issue with her as it is the boys and Ali is SO GOOD about moderation in these kinds of things, I was all for her indulging for Maylee's birthday!

Ohhhh, yes!
(This indulgence led to a few nice chocolate stains on her shirt...which, because she was so excited and wanted to dress up for the party, I had pulled out of her school clothes for next year! Great!)

What do you get when you combine a nice white shirt, chocolate cake, and a me who doesn't usually worry too much about stain removal therefore doesn't really know what to do?
You get Ali's husband, Kevin, saving the day with an ice cube and some powder I didn't know existed called oxi-something?
Thanks, Kevin (for doing this and for not getting mad when I took a picture of you doing this...or at least pretending to not be mad...). Bethany has you to thank for her pretty shirt staying pretty.
And not me to thank at all.

So, I suppose if I'm going to continue working on our social skills, I should start by learning a thing or two about stain removal.
Good times.

2 comments:

Emily said...

What a fun party! I love planning and organizing parties, I am excited to be a Mom and have children, it seems from your blog that you really enjoy it. I am sure it has its hard days, but how cool to know that your job is so important and will shape future generations!

Carrie said...

i already forgot that i read on ali's blog that you would have all the pictures. that was such a cute party! and nice to see you guys getting out and playing around. your life really is evolving isn't it? so fun!