Sunday, May 24, 2009

Our First Harvest!!!



Over the past month, our five (yes, count them...five) peaches growing on our sweet little tree have progressed beautifully! Every day that I checked on the trees, I gave a little extra attention to the little peaches we would soon be able to enjoy! They were getting fuzzy and plump and smelling oh-so-peachy!
Though they were still smallish, bugs had started to show interest in them, so we decided it was time to celebrate a harvest!
Of five peaches.
Well...four. One got overtaken by the bugs before we could save it. :( Ah well...you win some, you lose some.  I didn't cry, though, like I did when James accidentally pulled a pomegranate flower bud off the tree before it blossomed. Hmm...that may have been a hormonal moment...
I can't believe I didn't get any pictures of us picking them off the tree, but here is our enjoyment for...well...your enjoyment:

I sat them on the counter to take some pictures before we ate them and Bethany couldn't resist petting them a bit...
Then, after a good washing, it was time to enjoy!
(I don't know why one of our children is having this moment dressed like a cow. I really don't. To each their own!)
So soft
and juicy
and sweet.
Bethany discovers that all good things must come to an end once she ends up with nothing but a pit left.
James hands his over to JC for disposing of.
And Ben reacts when he learns that we will not let him eat his.
It's a hard fact of life, son.

It was so fun to have our little peach-eating moment!  I am so happy that we had just a few peaches this year because we didn't really expect any until next!  They really were so very yummy...JC let me eat most of the other one. :)
It's the first of what will, hopefully, be many many May evenings spent eating peaches from our own backyard. And, if we're lucky, within a few years we'll spend some evenings canning, baking and dehydrating as well!
But...one step at a time.
For now, just one little night of yum.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

that looks so delicious. its pretty funny that you got 5 (or 4). i guess it was meant to be 5 so you could each get one. dang bugs!