Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mothers' Day

I got a little panicky when I thought about a Mothers' Day post.
Mothers are those kinds of things that you can never quite put into words. So, there are no presents you can give, no words you can say, no emotion you can even feel that can rightfully give the credit and love that our mothers deserve.
And definitely no blog post that can do Mothers' Day justice.

So, Mom, (since I know you will read this, as you faithfully read everything I put on here) here is the simple way in which I honor you...Mothers' Day and all else...
Waking up, getting out of bed, spending it with my family, serving them, loving them and sometimes losing my mind a little (usually calling you on the phone when that happens...and lots of times in between).
The same way I did yesterday.
The same way I will do tomorrow.
The same way you have done for 27 years and counting.
There is really nothing more that I want to do with my life than to do what you have done and continue to do.
I walk the road you walked and hope that I will do it as strongly, with as much grace, faith, and wisdom as you have.
By taking it a day at a time.
And calling you on the phone. A lot.

Here is how I spent this mothers' day...

While I was getting the kids settled with some yummy fruit, JC cut up some pieces for me and arranged them nicely, surprising me with my own snack. :)
I love the little things.
Isn't it beautiful?
My sweet first-born, peeking through the bountiful bouquet of pink roses adorning my kitchen table.
Because taking care of sick babies can be a big part of a mom's life, I felt this worth sharing:
James had a fever.
Here are some shots of him attempting to muscle through and get some play time in...
Some fun toddler computer time:
Not up for it after all:
Looking quite chipper after getting dressed for the day, a second attempt at playtime:
No.
Really no.
Instead, resting on the couch with a snack.
Bethany and I did a puzzle together. She is getting really good at doing them by herself. It's nice that there is something that she can do on her own when I'm busy with something else.
But sometimes, I'm glad when she needs my help. :)
Side-story:
For my birthday, JC's mom gave me tickets to see STOMP!!!  Ever since I went to New York City my senior year in highschool and walked around on broadway (and everywhere else for that matter) and watched promotional videos outside the STOMP theater, it stuck in my mind and every time I see an advertisement or commercial for it coming my heart beats a little faster and I have always looked forward to seeing it someday.  And this was, unknown to me, my year!!!
The show was the day before Mothers' Day and Teri offered to stay overnight with the kids the night before so we could have a little in-town getaway (I'm not allowed to use the word 'stay-cation' because made up words like that bother JC.). We were so excited! We found a place here in town and had a wonderful time being spontaneous and free from all cares! Haha...it's a simple world we live in when a spontaneous trip to the mall for me while JC channel-surfs (at full volume for once), dinner at Red Lobster and falling asleep watching a pay-per-view movie qualify as a big deal but it WAS and it was SO FUN!!!
STOMP was amazing, I could watch it over and over. (We bought the DVD and, from Ben's reaction, we may end up doing just that!)  I am so grateful we got to see it (Thank you, Teri!!!) and recommend it highly to anyone and everyone.
I also got to wear the red shoes that I have searched high and low for over the past few years. The perfect red shoes have been residing this whole time at JC Penney's. Who knew?
But, Friday night, we ate Red Lobster where I discovered that the dislike for most seafood that appeared during my pregnancy with Bethany has begun to subside and I immensely enjoyed shrimp and some of JC's crab as well.  It was an amazing meal that left me wanting more.
SO...for my Mother's Day dinner...
JC steamed some crab legs, made up some Coconut Shrimp and Shrimp Scampi with a side of steamed broccoli.
Yum.
It was amazing.
Then, it was time for our traditional mothers' day pictures.
I love taking pictures with the kids every year and seeing how our little family has grown!
I notice that, as they get older, actually getting them to sit still for the picture is the challenging part..haha...we had a few attempts and ended up with this
Mama and babies:

Then I had the idea that if I got on the floor, they might be more cooperative (we often play and wrestle on the floor so I figured that if I laid on the floor, they might gather around me, thinking it was playtime and JC could catch a good picture.)

Me and my kids.
Yep, that's about right.

Next, we went to visit Grandmas. JC's mom had plans so we saw her the next week, but we saw my mom and Mason's mom.

Here are the kids, bearing flowers, at Grandma Polly's door!
 It was really fun to spend some time visiting with her and, later my mom and family.  It was a wonderful way to bring my day to a close.

So, for my mom and all others...even if it's not glamorous, I like to think that the way we, as daughters, honor our mothers is by simply living our everyday lives. Mothers Days and all the days in between. Because what we are, what we do with our time, the lives we are hopefully shaping for good...it's all because of our moms.

Thanks, Mom. Because of you, I know that I am always worth celebrating because of what I do every day....and I know that because it's the same thing you did and do every day.
Definitely worth celebrating.


2 comments:

katielizabethawkes said...

You look oh-so-pretty in those pictures!! And....you dressed your children in green. Aunt Katie approves.

The word: Preninu. This refers to that moment right before you know your kids are going to start screaming. Like the way the air gets quiet right before thunder. Pre-nee-noo.

Carrie said...

yum, that seafood looks delicious! and that getaway sounds so fun! i don't know if i told you but i have started day dreaming of dave and i's anniversary getaway for our 10th anniversary. i don't know where we are going, or if we will do it the year before or after or of (depending on when babies are coming or come) but it is going to be great!
oh, and those pictures of james trying to play are SO sad! i hate it!! BUT if i have to take care of a sick kid, i would rather it be that way, where they just feel like laying around, than by cleaning up throw up, or screaming with ear infection pain, etc.