Thursday, January 28, 2010

January it is!!

I like to think of myself as a patient person.
I may not be all the time, but I like to think of myself as one.

But, as one who loves a good, gloomy, rainy day, last year's "nonsoon" season (I heard this clever term on the news and thought "That's so cheesy") (and have been using it ever since)...I was really craving days like that to no avail. We have been having lovely weather this winter, had a couple rainfalls here or there, but I really got a treat a couple of weeks ago.

Whether I was patient or not in waiting for it to come, come it did.
We started hearing rumor of heavy storms coming our way and as we anxiously awaited the torrents, I cleaned up clutter (don't want to trip over toys if power goes out), got completely caught up on laundry and dishes (don't want to be caught off guard without opportunity to utilize appliances), cleaned up the back and front yards (don't want debris flying from our yards into neighbors' yards ), made sure we were stocked up on groceries (don't want to have to go to Walmart with all the kids during a tornado warning...ended up doing this anyway...), had extra water on hand, and had then fulfilled all the tasks on the checklist I pulled from my Ballard Family Preparedness Plans Binder from the Severe Thunderstorms section which is in the Severe Weather Section which is in the Disaster Preparedness Section.
There is more where that came from.
This is what I can't help but turn projects into. This is why I don't do things.
And anyway, after all that was done (and I text my family, instructing them on what to do if electrical lines fell on their car while driving...couldn't help it)...the storms weren't that bad here in our area.
Hahaha, but at least I had peace of mind. That NEVER happens. :)

Here is what we were able to enjoy:

Bethany splish-splashes through the ever-increasing puddles!
Ben does the same.
Bethany wonders at the water gushing out of the...oh heavens...what is this called?
I definitely live in Arizona.
Up to this point, James had been inside, laying on the floor, naked and screaming. I won't bother with that story. Rest assured it was of his own will.
But, luckily, we eventually gained the pleasure of his presence and Ben demonstrates what exactly the game is at this point:
Puddles.
The rain brought out the wild side of Bethany and she gave a ferocious growl for this picture!
The boys found some of these bungee cords and put them to good use as water snakes!
These puddles got so deep so fast! It was a great rainstorm.

Here's some wildlife shots for you...
Our precious peach tree is our smallest tree by far yet gave us sweet, edible fruit in his first year and pulled through the summer and winter strong! This week I was so happy because he declared his survival by sprouting these lovely green leaves!
When I say I was so happy, I mean take-a-thousand-pictures, giggle-and-sing-a-song kind of happy.
(Wait until I get around to posting what has happened with him since!)
But, anyway, he loved the rain.
I also found this guy. I was NOT happy about this. I found him crawling out of our garden area (um...future garden area), along with a gazillion crickets, trying to escape the downpour.
I thought it was a strange looking spider. So I took a picture. Black widow, turns out.
Dead now.
(I couldn't bring myself to kill it right then because the kids were watching and I wasn't in the mood for "what happened mama, what happened?" and the "why did you hurt the spider" eyes they give. And also, a little bit because I saw another smaller version of this spider near it and thought it might be its baby and even though I'm sure it doesn't make sense to any other grown adult, I couldn't bring myself to act as the spider family murderer in that moment.)
But like I said, they are dead now.
Along with a bunch of bugs that had decided to nest up in a gap in the stucco on our back wall.
Gross.

Ben didn't want to come inside when it was time, even though he was soaking wet from head to toe and freezing cold.
He wanted to watch the crickets climb up the wall.



It was great to have a really really fantastic rainfall!! We just love the rain and after all the time I spent getting the house in order that week, the kids needed something fun and out of the ordinary!

I am so grateful for the beautiful weather we have been having. Storms, overcast skies, some sunny days mixed in, beautiful breezes, trees starting to breathe life again, soft ground under our feet.
I adore this earth and everything it has to offer us. I marvel quite often at the beauty, sustenance, and responsibility we have been given in it. I try to be grateful for it every day, to remember that it was made for me. (and all of you too) :)
Without it, we couldn't become what we are meant to become.
And without the rain, the earth couldn't become what it was meant to become!
Maybe that's why we love the rain.
(that and puddles)

No comments: