Sunday, January 31, 2010

Adventure

I'm set up in the playroom/family room tonight with my handy dandy laptop. I felt like blogging in here where I could enjoy some company from JC and background noise from his TV show. Tonight he is watching The Grizzly Man Diaries on Planet Green. Have you seen this guy? I am refusing to let myself talk about this too much because right at this moment I am having to try very hard to be not obsessed with this.
And cry a whole lot about how he died.
But anyway, it is causing me to think about some of the crazy amazing things people sometimes do with their lives, the adventures they have. Adventures make me think of all kinds of things ranging from living among grizzlies to trying new foods. I don't do a whole lot...or any...of either of these things as of late.
But...I suppose we have our own version of adventure around these parts, yes?

You won't find us careening down white water rapids.
But, instead, using the most intense water pressure our hoses will allow to give dusty old backyard toys a foamy bath.


You won't find us heading out for big important purposes every day.
But, instead, sometimes in our pajamas halfway through the day, playing on (or under) some unmade bed.

You won't find us relaxing at a lovely spa.
But you will find (an attempt at) rest time every day!

You won't find us surrounded by intricate decor.
But you will find us sitting on, in, and tripping over the small amounts of holiday decor we do bother with!


You won't find us frequenting glamorous salons for luxurious hair treatments (ahhh.)
But, instead, on kiddie chairs, making a big mess (and a big fuss) for the excitement of mommy haircuts!

You won't find us shelling out painful amounts of money for good quality snacks when we don't have to. (Though when we do have to...we do. Worth it.)
But, instead, making our yummy homemade granola bars (most) every week!

(and cleaning up after ourselves)

You won't find us attending every exciting movie or play that comes rolling through town.
But, you will find us dancing on backyard storage bins, serenading the neighbors.

You won't find us frequenting internet cafes the world over.
But, you will find us (me) dancing a little jig every time I remember that JC fixed my handy dandy laptop and it now rests on my kitchen counter where it belongs, right with my cell phone.
The things that make me feel somewhat connected to a world outside my own.

You will not find us on breathtaking helicopter tours of far away islands.
But, you will find us playing with toy helicopters in the morning sun.

You won't find us partaking of high class food in high class restaurants.
But, instead, you will, every once in a while, find us indulging in coconut milk-based ice cream.
Oh, the indulgence.




You won't find us flying high above the earth in exciting hot air balloon rides.
But you will find daddy teaching little ones about balloon rockets on a weekend morning.



(you will find Ben being scared of said balloon rockets)

You won't find us traveling to far-off continents to enjoy conversation with interesting strangers and consume exotic foods.
But you will find us at my sister's super cute new apartment enjoying homemade tacos, silly faces, some music and (Ben) dancing with family.



You won't find us cheering in the bleachers at big sporting events.
But you will find us making up our own games. And uniforms.

You won't find us doing exciting renovating projects to our abode. Not these days.
But, instead, just trying to get the side yard cleaned up.



You won't find us at high-profile parties.
But, instead, you will find us hosting our own costume parties on an on-going basis.



You won't find us camping with grizzly bears.
But, you will find us trying to feed the little birds around our home.


And that's just for starters. :)
Can you keep up with the crazy?

3 comments:

katilda said...

I loved the style of this post. Look at you, you little blogger you...

Today's word: Chowel. What an asian person dries off with. (um, chinese...get it...)

Peterson Family said...

That ice cream looks delicious!! :) I love anything chocolate! hehe

I enjoyed this post, as another fellow stay-at-home mommy could, it's the simple pleasures in life that bring the most happiness.

Just keeping the house clean is my focus lately too...

Nelson Family said...

So jealous of your fantastic weather. And homemade granola bars.