Sunday, April 26, 2009

In the meantime...a food survey

So, I am trying to post about our super-lovely-saturday and blogger is quickly becoming a name on my blacklist by being sketchy with picture loading. 
I know it's weird and out of the ordinary but I had a few pictures to share in my post.
The post doesn't feel right without them, so I am postponing said post (?) and doing something meaningless and fun...also weird and out of the ordinary, right?

With recipe-gathering/meal planning, efforts toward eating right, and food storage as big topics on my 'where to use my mental energy' list lately, I thought this would be fun to do. 


FOOD SURVEY:

1. How do you like your eggs?
hard boiled please...and on salad...mmmm

2. How do you take your coffee/tea?
In the form of water and fruit juice.

3. Favorite breakfast food?
Hash browns...JC makes awesome ones. 

4. Peanut butter...smooth or crunchy?
Smooth, with only peanuts and nothing else on the ingredients list, thank you.

5. What kind of dressing on your salad?
Unfortunately, Newman's Own Ranch. YummMEE.  It may be organic, but I have a feeling the fat content outweighs the benefit of the salad I eat it on!

6. Coke or Pepsi?
...water or...fruit juice? 

7. You're feeling lazy, what do you make?
Deli turkey slices on a plate covered with sliced avocado and possibly some shredded white cheddar cheese. That's for me. If we're talking kids, rolled up turkey slices with pretzels and sliced oranges.  If we're talking the whole family for dinner, Trader Joe's Frozen BBQ Teriyaki Chicken. We always have a couple bags in the freezer for the nights where dinner just won't happen.

8. You're feeling really lazy, what kind of pizza do you order?
Domino's Pacific Veggie Pizza for me.  Brooklyn Style Sausage and Banana Peppers for JC. Pepperoni and Tomatoes with no cheese for the kids. (and no, we don't eat a whole pizza each. We intentionally have leftovers for a couple of days!)
(How fantastic is it that both Papa Johns and Pizza Hut have all-natural whole wheat options now???  And...how sad is it that we still order from Domino's sometimes? Haha..can't help it. That veggie pizza is awesome.)

9. You feel like cooking. What do you make?
Chicken Parmesan or a really good soup.

10. Do any foods bring back good memories?
My mom's black bottom pies (Thanksgiving tradition)...blueberry muffins (Christmas morning tradition)...canned pineapple (lived off of it for four months at BYU)...Hawaiian food (ate it at every luau I danced at for four months at BYU)...Totino's Pizza (ate it on special occassions when I was first married and we had no money! This was our splurge once a month or so!)...Tuna Rice Casserole (ate it growing up), cold cereal (I ate this late at night after I would come home from being out with friends or on dates. Without fail.)

11. Do any foods bring back bad memories?
shrimp (made me sick when I was pregnant)
Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad (ate it once and discovered that some of the chicken was still raw.)

12. Do any foods remind you of someone?
Tuna Rice Casserole - my mom and my cousin, Emily (I think we ate it a lot together?)
Stir fry - Mason. We ate it so much because it was cheap and he had become part philippino and I had become part polynesian.
Any frozen finger food - the Kear Family. Pizza rolls, taquitos, mini tacos and jalepeno poppers are present at every family gathering. Even (and especially) Thanksgiving. I love it.
Plain bread - my dad. I have memories of being little and him eating, and sharing with me, a piece of bread while we would sit together at night watching tv or maybe just avoiding bedtime. He would tear pieces off and shape it into little cubes for me.
Cherry pie - JC. It's the only kind he likes.

13. Is there a food you refuse to eat?
Octopus that still LOOKS like an octopus. NO thank you.
And anything slimey from a shell. 

14. What was your favorite food as a child?
I have always loved mashed potatoes. I remember always asking for them for my birthday dinners.  My mom might know this one better than I do though...

15. Is there a food that you hated as a child but like now?
Lots of things! But first to my mind...beans. I love black beans, kidney beans, etc. now and I wouldn't touch them as a kid.  My parents even tried calling them "protein balls" and telling me it was a new food.
Lies...

16. Is there a food you liked as a child but now hate?
Not that I can think of...unless I liked octopus-looking octopus as a child...

17. Favorite fruit and vegetable?
Tangelos (yes, specifically tangelos) and cucumbers.
And avocados hover in between because they are SO a favorite but I'm honestly not sure if they're a fruit or a veggie...

18. Favorite junk food?
Ice cream or cookies. or cookies in ice cream. or ice cream sandwiched between cookies.

19. Favorite between meal snack?
Fruit leather or a banana spread with peanut butter

20. Do you have any weird food habits?
Spreading my bananas with peanut butter maybe? Or putting cream cheese (when I allow myself to eat it...ahh...it's been too long...) on anything and everything?

21. You're on a diet. What foods do you fill up on?
Well...since "on a diet" is pretty much the lifestyle I try to maintain as of late, I'd say I try to eat a lot of greens. With every meal if possible. And drink a LOT of water.

22. You're off your diet. Now what would you like?
Hmm...hopefully I wouldn't go 'off' the way I try to eat but when I allow myself a treat (which is probably more often than I should!) it's probably cookies or ice cream. Or...cream cheese on something...

23. How spicy do you order Indian/Thai?
I am not a spicy girl. At least not when it comes to my food.

24. Can I get you a drink?
Umm...water?  Or...fruit juice?

25. Favorite dessert?
I am so boring...but ice cream or cookies never goes wrong. :) ooh...or brownies. Pretty much chocolate.


Well, that ended up being slightly less exciting than I had anticipated. But ah well. Something to relax the brain cells...
and make me really...really...
hungry.

Shoot.

2 comments:

Kristyn said...

I'm having memories of you putting cream cheese on everything the GHS had to offer for lunch. fun times. :)

Carrie said...

hey look, i'm already almost done with april's posts. yay! this post was probably the one i laughed at the most! and i'm not sure how funny you were intending to be, but you were funny! let me highlight for you...
-how do you like your coffee/tea...
funny answer
-you're like a crazy healthy eater! i pretend to be like you. kind of. sometimes.
-i WISH you hadn't put that comment in about applebee's oriental chicken salad!! i CRAVE that salad. and no one will go to applebee's with me! and now, will i ever be able to eat it again?? (probably... but STILL!)
(so i guess that one wasn't so funny. )
-you and mason changed races. lol
-my sister loves mashed potatoes and always wanted it for HER bday dinner!
-ice cream and cookies...etc. you're funny.
-and all your other water, fruit juice, cookie and ice cream comments.
i'm hungry now too! and i didn't get anymore ice cream yet! even though i have oreos to go with them. (and yes, i'm being very very bad in hopes that i will get it out of my system for the next round.)