Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Filler . . .

Today is James' birthday. Sweet, three-year-old boy.
Actually, he was a bit of a pill today.
Typical, three-year-old boy. :)

However, as evening approached, the reason for the excessive grumpiness/inability to be pleased with anything manifested itself.
In the form of a fever . . . then vomit.

After Grandma Teri and cousins left (yeah, family dinner and all!) and his siblings went to bed, I sat on the couch and snuggled him (best I could do . . . he refused to let anyone hold him.) 
I sat next to him, cradled one arm around him so his head was resting against my shoulder/armpit. He would stir every once in a while. I just listened to him breathe slightly irregularly (fever does that) and snore (James does that)...and took in the dark and the quiet. I tried to comfort him by just being next to him, tried to transfer love and peace from my body to his.  I prayed he would be able to sleep and his body would do what it needs to do to keep him healthy and happy.
Suddenly, I looked at the clock. 8:10. I flashed back.
Three years ago, 8:10. Hospital visiting hours had just ended. Grandparents, aunts, uncles and sibling had left.  I sat/reclined in my hospital bed, cradled him in one arm so his head was resting against my shoulder/armpit. He would stir every once in a while. I just listened to him breathe slightly irregularly (newborns do that) and . . . is he . . . snoring?? Do babies do that??...and took in the dark and the quiet.  I tried to make him feel cozy and secure in this new world by just keeping him right up against me, tried to transfer love and peace from my body to his.  I prayed he would be able to sleep (...and maybe even me?...) and his body would do what it needed to do to keep him healthy and happy.

So, tonight, I kissed him and wished him a happy birthday as I snuggled (but don't worry, didn't hold) him.
And I thought about how it could be a long night, full of comforting, holding, changing and...not sleeping. But, I kind of smiled at the thought...I supposed it is one way of celebrating his first birthday night...with a similar one!

Anyway, he is sleeping now, happily in his bed. His fever is going down pretty quickly, so I am hoping quite forcefully it was just something he ate and he will feel better come morning.
I have lots of fun pictures and stories from the last week, especially from birthday celebrations, but I am having computer literacy problems and am a bit worn out and ready for...well...probably bed. But, I couldn't not post tonight. I would have missed it. 
Admit it, you would have too. 
Hahaha...really, I just wanted to do a small, quick tribute to Baby James (Who, by the way, I always planned to call Baby Jay, and eventually, obviously, just Jay. Mason told me that Baby Jay made him sound black and we should just call him James. I was not on board but for some reason, from the second he was born, he was always just James. Even as a newborn, it fit so well, I couldn't imagine calling him differently.)

In honor of his birthday, and to tide you over until you can see celebratory pictures, I give you my reason for uncontrollable laughter while I blog, week 2. 
We came across this picture of James from last year and the first thing I thought of was that I had to get these two pictures side by side.


For your viewing pleasure . . .
James and George.




How's that for glamour? 

8 comments:

Somer said...

Your boy's cute but man the next picture is SO GROSS!

Hawkes said...

THE GEORGE!!?? Did you have him pose for that picture. Andrew will shed a tear when he sees this.

Lindsey and Brett said...

Ha ha ha! That's awesome. Sorry he's not feeling so well though. I'm sure he appreciates that you sit with him when he feels like crap but doesn't want to be held. :)

Linds said...

Mandy- Sweetest blog ever! goodness, i'm crying. that was really cute! (not the george part... obviously). Happy Birthday, James!

Peterson Family said...

Those pictures are hilarious!! I love Seinfeld. :) I liked your sweet story, those first moments of their little lives are the most precious. What a lucky boy to have such a wonderful mom! :)

WHITE said...

Happy Birthday James!!! We have come to really adore your cute little family, and James is such a character...how could we not? He cracks me up everytime we are over there. I am so happy that whatever was going on last night didn't stay, sick babies are so hard and so we could come and play today. Love the picture comparison...classic!

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

That was the most beautiful portrayal of motherhood I have ever read.

Your prose is absolutely amazing, and I think you should find someone to publish that. Absolutely inspiring.