Monday, March 16, 2009

How to of the Month: How to Celebrate TREE DAY!!!

What is Tree Day, you ask?
Doesn't Arbor Day fall on the last Friday in April? Aren't we still in March?
Yes, yes, we are.

Let me take you back a few days . . .

Last Tuesday morning found JC with a day off from work, Bethany at preschool, the boys playing happily on the balcony in the gorgeous spring air, and me cleaning the kitchen while chatting with my husband about food storage, household projects and gardening.  He, using my handy dandy laptop, was browsing the internet for information about said topics...perhaps to further his knowledge, perhaps to give him the opportunity to get a word in here and there. :)  The more we talked about gardening, the backyard, and our hopes of building our self-reliance sooner rather than later, the more we realized we were ready for a baby step in that direction. 
We decided to get a fruit tree...something we have talked about doing for a while but were unsure on the timing.
Suddenly, the timing became apparent.
Now.
In the car we got, down Gilbert Road to Whitfill Nursery.

We had plans and spots for five trees. But, I had done some research over the previous months and felt the task of having more than one tree to care for at this point, when my knowledge is less than vast, would not have the greatest of results.  So, we went looking for one tree. Perhaps a citrus tree. Perhaps tangelo. 
We LOVE tangelos around here.


The boys browsed. There could not have been a better playground for them on such a gorgeous day. They thought they had gone to heaven. I, myself, would not mind if heaven resembled Whitfill Nursery on a March day!
I chatted with Marli...a lovely lady from Ireland who called me "love" and the kids "pumpkin" and "chicken." (in an endearing way, not a you're-a-scaredy-cat way) Her knowledge, as opposed to mine, actually IS vast. She told us if we're planting one tree, might as well plant 'em all. Apparently, in my mind, I made it more complicated than it is.
Hmm.
That's so unlike me.

So, she walked us through all the different species of trees we were interested in.

By the time we left there, my excitement level was beyond description. We had some talking over to do and some final decisions to make, so we were going to come back another day to choose and purchase.
But, apparently, I was not the only one who was excited because JC initiated a trip back that same afternoon to do so! Bethany was with us this time and just as excited about the landscape and baby chickens (real ones, not her brothers) as the boys had been.  We went through and chose the trees (or is it like animals and they chose us?) and went home telling the kids that TREE DAY was coming soon!!!  

The title stuck because, through the rest of the week, Bethany kept asking "Is today tree day? Is tomorrow tree day? How many days until tree day?" 


Well, the awaited day finally came. We spent Friday morning trying to fill the time, being as patient as possible for the arrival of the new additions to our backyard family.


A shot of this section of our backyard being lonely and unfruitful for the last time.
We rode bikes and ran around out front, watching the street corner...




Scout paced anxiously.

Bethany soothed his nerves by giving him affection via her doll.


James jumped off rocks

and discovered flowers, which he pointed out to me...

and shared with Scout.
Then, it happened.
The truck came!!!
We moved the party to our back balcony where we could watch them be planted.

Scout wanted a closer look. When I tried to rescue our tree planter from our lion of a cat, he waved me away saying that he wasn't in the way. I thought that was nice.
It was also nice that James made sure his little stuffed cat could see everything that was happening by holding him over the edge of the railing for an unobstructed view.
THEN...it was time to go meet our trees...

James ventured over, unsure...
Bethany decides that it is a similar situation to meeting a new dog and extends her hand for...sniffing?
She then declares this one to be her favorite.
And James decides he likes the little semi-hidden-from-view corner that has been created.
Ben offered a smile...
and Bethany moved on to greet another tree.
James tried Bethany's method of greeting.
When we found we had some baby peaches, Bethany and I both were quite excited (I am choosing to ignore the fact that they will most likely fall off due to the shock of being transplanted.)
The kids wandered among the trees, continuing to welcome them...




Scout apparently feels attached to this little lady here because he sat so near when she was being planted. He didn't leave her side until she felt completely at home.
Brothers, enjoying the new view.
Bethany, enjoying some quiet time under the new canopy.
They just provide something pretty to gaze at...
They also work for hiding spots to do those things you don't want everyone witnessing...until mom puts it on the blog...
And...in theory...providing shade...

The kids and I (probably especially me...) really enjoyed getting to know our beautiful new trees and . . .
Oh wait.
I'm so rude.
Pardon me, in all the excitement I forgot to make introductions.
Don't worry yourselves, I shall do so now.

For now, they are simply known by the fruit they will someday bring forth...

Our Tangelo Tree
Our Pomegranate Tree
Our Apple Tree
Our Peach Tree
Our Plum Tree

It seems to be of the general consensus that I will be the main caretaker for the trees...which makes me very happy.  But JC did a lot of work getting things all set for proper watering, etc.  The trees and I are very grateful.


Every day since, we spend as much time outside as possible. It is mostly because the weather is beautiful...almost a bit of a chill in the morning (almost)...but by lunch time, we're all red-cheeked and toasty.  When we return to our backyard after quiet-time/naptime, the heat has settled over the yard, but the shade starts to return to that same morning chill once dinnertime rolls around. And...before we know it, our day is over.  Have I mentioned how I love this time of year?
I have to admit that we are spending more time outside since the trees arrived as well (we have taken to eating our lunches among them!) because the mere sight and presence of them brings me so much joy.  I want them to have a fantastic start in our backyard and maybe I'm a goofy tree-hugger but I think the more time we spend with them, the better they will take to their new home.  Besides, I just adore them.  They represent hope and excitement for what the future will bring, a sense of belonging to this beautiful earth, and an opportunity to give a little love and receive a lot in return. Hey...I guess it's a lot like having kids. Only...really different.
All the same, I love our new trees. It excites me that the kids seem to feel the same.

I think we will celebrate Tree Day on March 13th every year. 
By sitting among them (someday in their shade), eating of their fruit and singing them a song or two.
So let it be written.
So let it be done.







4 comments:

Hawkes said...

I am so jealous of your trees!! Can I come over and eat your tangelos??

Lindsey and Brett said...

That made me miss Arizona. For your information, today mother earth produced THE biggest snowflakes I have ever seen in my life. Mother earth hates Vienna.

-Brett

Pam Price said...

You got some GREAT trees! Yum to all of them! I'm jealous. Can I tell you how much it made me smile seeing Scout staring at the tree...AND the fact that I almost threw a fit when I thought you weren't going to tell us what kind you actually purchased, but was SOOO relieved when you finally did??!! :) Seriously.

Good job on becoming self-sufficient :) I can't wait to see pictures of the blooming fruits...the fruits of your labor! :)

Carrie said...

ok, seriously, you are SO silly. but at the same time, i am SO jealous because we had money saved up for trees once. but now it would be pointless to put trees in. so i guess i'm glad we didn't. but i dream of fruit trees. and you're not a tree-hugger in the usual sense as much as in the literal sense. because you apparently love your trees.