Sunday, March 15, 2009

Eggventure

Last Monday, my friend Heidi and her darling little boy, Rowdy, came over.
Heidi and I have tried to have a standing playdate for approximately two months now. Tried.
Sick kids happen. And they happen a lot.
SO, the grand total of playdates we've actually made happen is...two. Such is life, yes?

Well, anyway, moving forward...last Monday, the two of them plus the four of us were enjoying some breezy backyard time, chatting, running, swinging, sharing (sometimes), and exploring. (Heidi and I really only did the first of that list...)
We're talking about how-we-met stories, marriage, compromise, food storage, motherhood, etc. and I feel a little bit like a human being. A grown-up human being.

Throughout all of this, we keep noticing a strange popping noise coming from my kitchen. The door was standing open off the balcony to let in some nice fresh air...and yes, occassionally, there was popping....
"like popcorn or something" says Heidi.  
"The dumb cat knocking my to-be-recycled juice containers off the counter and around the kitchen" says I. (I've heard this many times and yes, it sounded just like that...)

Finally, our curiousity got the best of us and I went up to check. 
Shrieked a little when I walked into the kitchen.
Oh yeah.
I put some eggs on to hard-boil right before Heidi and Rowdy got here.
An hour and a half ago.

Needless to say, the water was gone, the eggs were exploded all over my kitchen, the smell was lovely and the pan was nearly ruined.

A small portion of the kitchen following the incident:

Also, needless to say, I felt less like a grown-up. 
I always love when my friends get to witness my...uh...adventurous moments.

Heidi says Rowdy is sick and we postponed our playdate that was set for tomorrow...I'm pretty sure, though, she is just afraid the smell is still lingering in my house and wants to give it another week to air out...
(in case you're wondering, Heidi, this is not really my suspision...just my attempt at humor. See, the later I stay up blogging, the more freely those attempts come and the more I'm not sure I know how to correctly spell the word suspision anymore...seriously...)

Anyway, I feel the need to note that later in the same day I redeemed myself with the following:
Flautas with salsa and smooshed avocado
I was officially forgiven.

(at least until JC came home to egg yolk on our vaulted ceilings...)

3 comments:

Peterson Family said...

Glad that Bethany had such a wonderful birthday!! I love your fun backyard too. :)

I am cracking up over the egg thing... I would SOOOO do the same thing! I almost let Mark's lunch sit on the counter all night (a 12 hour crock pot roast *yum* with baked potato's ='s 3 days of food for him) thankfully he woke me up in the I'm-falling-to-sleep-blur and I ran into the kitchen to put it in the fridge!

WHITE said...

I loved this post and couldn't stop laughing! And to be honest I think I would rather smell the egg, then deal with Rowdy this very unlovely morning! His temp is back up and his mood is back down!!!
Hopefully he gets this turned around and we can get together later in the week. Thanks for posting this, it was the highlight of my morning!

Carrie said...

i'm so sorry about the eggs, but that was really funny! and i want some flautas!! those look SO yummy!