Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Week in Review


It's been a lovely week 'round these parts. 
Monday was a holiday and though JC did not have the day off, he did have a light schedule and didn't have to be in to work until ten. So, our morning was somewhat leisurely. It made me realize that I am nearly sure that the first couple hours of the day are some of the hardest and if the responsibility of keeping the kids happy and fed, getting them ready for the day, etc. are shared it makes a big difference. Hence, the fact that we look forward to the weekend even though we don't get to sleep in. :)
The kids and I had chiropractor appointments that morning so we did that and it had occurred to me that I may be brave enough to take them to Freestone Park all by myself. It is less than two miles from our house and I am a big girl now. Plus, I was freshly in alignment so nice and clear-headed!  Haha...
We went and enjoyed ourselves. Well, mostly. I probably won't do that again. My venting to my mom later in the day went something like this: "I forgot to think about the fact that there is a lot of room for them to just run. And, of course, they will all run in completely separate directions all at once. One toward a busy road, one toward mud and one toward a big dog."
But, it was lovely to have tried. And we DID find a tree to climb. I grew up climbing trees when we lived in Texas, so I was really excited when the kids took the opportunity...

Well, after Bethany got a back scratch.
And Ben did some exploring.
And played peek-a-boo.
There we go!
Then...we weren't having so much fun anywmore...
...
So we left. We went home and watched a DVD of Fraggle Rock which I found at Target for $5.50.

The rest of the week was less eventful than that morning...unless you count me driving all the way to north-ish, east-ish Mesa to take Bethany to preschool on Tuesday only to discover I had forgotten her shoes at home. I went up to the door of the school to pop my head in and see if they would be playing outside that day or if I could bring her with just her socks to her name...only to THEN discover that there was no preschool that day. I had forgotten. 
Drove back home with confused boys and a disappointed Bethany. Told her we could do whatever she wanted, which ended up being watching two Disney movies in a row, inspiring me to give them LOTS of outside run-around time that afternoon to make up for tv time. I'm not complaining though. 
I live for outside playtime these days. It's fresh and crisp and glorious.

This week we also gave away one of our three rocking chairs. Up until now, we have needed all three. But, babies are growing and only two are in medium-to-high demand nowadays.  That same day we gave Bethany and James a fun change they desired and switched out their baby swings for big kid swings.

The newbies. 
(came with the set, but set them aside and kept using their baby swings)

I didn't give any of the above a second thought until Wednesday when the kids were playing at Grandma Trudie's house for a good portion of the day (clean CLEAN CLEAN! for me! Thank you mom!!!) and I had the thought that we could probably take down the baby gates on the stairs this summer once Ben is around two and completely confident on them (getting there already!)...then a moment later I caught a glimpse of the swingset out the window as I was pushing one of the rocking chairs left down the hallway to James' room to replace the one we'd given away...and all of a sudden, I find myself teary-eyed, realizing that it is actually happening. Our kids are getting older. Nobody is an infant anymore. Nobody lays on the floor and coos. Nobody gets up in the middle of the night to eat. Oh wait, I like that one...Anyway, I think that it was the first time I actually experienced a moment like that where it seemed they were growing up too fast! 
I hear there could be more of those to come...

I also must mention that Tuesday night was a gardening class in my ward.  I wanted to go so badly, so excited because of my avid interest in gardening...but as the day began and I felt myself getting a bit stressed with kind of a lot going on in my head and around the house (just the normal day-in, day-out kind of stuff), I made a decision to cut the class out. Gardening is not something I do right now. If I learn more about it, I will just beat myself up that I am not doing it right now and end up neglecting something more applicable to my daily life now in daydreams about the future when I will have time for it. SO, I didn't go and instead spent time on the house...something basic that affects life in the now. It felt good.

Thursday, Bethany really did have school.

Friday, we took a trip to PetCo with my Mom just for fun. We didn't get to see the adoption center animals but it was still fun.  I think I want a turtle someday.
We gave her pictures colored by the kids to take with her to her Mom and Dad who she is visiting this week. The kids were quite jealous she was going because they had so much fun visiting them this summer!

Friday night, JC and I had a date. Woohoo! Unfortunately, some friends of ours we were going to meet up with had a last minute change in plans and we didn't get to hang with them BUT we got to go out still which is always a plus. :) Time alone together...dinner and a movie...classic...
We saw Paul Blart, Mall Cop. I think it's the most I've heard people laugh out loud in a movie in a a really long time.

Saturday, I told JC we were going to be outside as much as possible. (I think it's a borderline addiction for me...) We decided to make it interesting and venture back to Freestone Park but this time with both parental units. Check it out...

They boys loved the swings.


Bethany loved the sand.

This is James' "I'm swinging higher than I am comfortable with but I like it a little bit so I won't ask Daddy to stop me" face.

This is Ben's "Dad keeps tickling me while I swing" face.

Hey, it's a bit of a smile! It creeps back in once the swing slows down a bit.
Onto the play equipment. I love that they have a specific playground for 2-5 yr olds.


They ran up and down the hills...I mostly got video of this and it's really great. I wish I knew how to put that on here...guess I'll have to learn sometime!
We decided to revisit the area with all the trees and try climbing again.
Check out Bethany. It's like the cover of a book or something...
Sharing a laugh as they walk...ohh, cute.
After much struggling, James makes it up the tree.
And after a while we trek back to our van to go buy new toothbrushes at Target. What a morning!
Walking up the hill, I asked James if I could hold his hand. More of an affectionate thing for me, but he took it to mean that I thought he needed help which he adamently refused. He told me he could do it by himself, holding his own hand.
Can't argue with that.
But apparently, after the Target trip, more playtime and lunch, he did need me for something.
Thank heavens for that. :)


Last night JC and I worked on the workout room project. It is getting close to completion and I am ecstatic.

Today, we went to church. With our three kids. Who were all grumpy and needy in their own special way.
Me too, guys. Me too.
Then, I started not feeling too well which has king of lasted throughout the rest of today. Stress of church with little ones? Maybe. But, I have started piecing together the random sneezes, coughing, ear aching, extra tired, stuffy nose, headache moments of the last couple of days and am arriving at a rather unfortunate suspicion. Which I won't say out loud. Or type.

It's been a fantastic week spent loving the weather, enjoying the nothingness of our playtime, cleaning my house for one whole day (and almost finishing!!) :) and just...being. Today was the first day that I felt that chest-pain-I-can't-breathe feeling that means "overwhelmed" in a while. So, I'm just trying to muscle through it and tell myself that tomorrow is a new day, not to mention a new week.
And tonight, we had Grandma Polly over for dinner. Which is always fun.
And I suppose I'll go get to bed at a decent hour so as not to tempt fate too much. After all, I do seem to be getting a cold.
Shoot.
Wasn't going to say that out loud.

3 comments:

Zonnie said...

Fraggle Rock!!! I LOVED Fraggle Rock when I was a little girl (and secretly still do!...well it has been a while so perhaps if I saw it again it may not bring me as much enjoyment) I have never found any Fraggle Rock stuff anywhere! Lucky you!! How cool!

Peterson Family said...

Your blog is always so fun to read Mandy! I love how you write. :) I TOTALLY cracked up at cute little James holding his OWN hand... that is seriously HILARIOUS! Don't you just love it when they express their independence! haha :)

I hear you on the moments when you feel like they're growing up too fast. They are coming with more frequency for me and I ponder having a 1st grader in my home next year and both boys in school all day. (Hmmm... time for another one?! :) One of these days.)

Hawkes said...

Fraggle Rock is the best. And I have taken it upon myself to edit the picture of Bethany that looks like a book cover. When I am done I shall email it to you. :)