Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas Day!

Christmas Morning was quite a treat! Bethany, usually our first one up, slept in until seven thirty!! It was amazing. So, we actually felt like it was a holiday. :)
After she roused us from our slumber, the three of us wandered up the stairs to our front room where the Christmas Tree lives to find a fun scene...presents to be opened! And...


Baby Jesus! Haha, she was excited.

We decided to let her dig in and let the boys get up when they got up.


Quite the happy camper!
Once the boys got up, it was ripping and squeeling with wrapping paper flying everywhere. 

Scout got pretty curious about all the excitement and spent time investigating.
Since he is still a little young to understand what it's all about, Ben got over the whole scene and just wanted to be held for a while.
So, we snuggled.
And tickled.
The boys just sit and stare in amazement.
While Bethany hams it up for the camera.
And then, while the kids continue to take in all the excitement, JC takes (a nap) in the recliner.
But soon, everyone realizes that breakfast won't start happening until things are straightened up a bit so JC gets the kids busy on that.
What good sports! (JC included) :)
In searching for wrapping paper scraps, James found Bethany's new wooden magnetic dress up doll sets.  Hmmm, he says...what is this curious thing?
And Ben finds Baby Jesus.
And, of course, James starts hiding things in little nooks and crannies. A proper welcome to his collection of toys.
When JC took out the big bag of garbage, the kids ran out after him. Barefoot. What Christmas Morning is complete without a barefoot romp in the cold, wet morning air? (It was actually a lovely day for Christmas. Kind of foggy...eventually it actually rained! Aunt Bonnie swore she saw "little flurries" of snow at one point in the morning. We Arizonians are such wishful thinkers.)
We were having family over for breakfast, etc. so we made our way upstairs and I started cooking away.   Blueberry muffins (Hawkes tradition), a slow-cooker breakfast casserole that cooked overnight (best smell ever to wake up to) and monkey bread (Mason's favorite...pretty sure a favorite of just about everyone).  The kids ran around with Rudolph on in the background. It all felt very lovely...cooking, listening to the kids, smelling the food mixed in with a rainy-scented breeze coming in the open window...Merry Christmas to me!

Here, the kids had gotten a little out of control, fighting with each other and whining about breakfast taking too long, etc. (note to self - - in future years, do as much prep work beforehand as possible!)  JC gathered the perpetraitors up and gave them a talking to. He and I found humor in the synchronized breakdowns. They did not so much.
After everyone came around and breakfast was had, all things turned toward Rockband.
I caught Bonnie trying her hand at the drums and Katie giving her best support.
(Katie, I still don't care what you say, you did not have Mulan Hair.)
JC and Andrew, rockstars.
Everyone very nicely took turns. 

Bethany entertained Laura.
And Grandma Trudie and Grandma Polly chatted it up. 
I somehow snagged this picture of James and his Uncle Andrew having a moment.
Ben became a bit of a groupie and just stood and stared up at Monica while she played, nursing a cup of apple juice.
I know this picture is blurry, but I love it anyway. Apparently, something went wrong with James' turn on the drums.

At some point, more presents were opened.  Opening presents with small children is almost a daunting task for parents. Assisting them, helping them examine what they have, taking pictures, giving credit where it's due, etc. But the morning went really well! And they had lots to be excited about and grateful for!









My mom crawling around, picking small pieces of wrapping paper up off the floor while my sisters laugh at her efforts and I take a picture. Gotta love family.
Ben decided to visit with my dad for a bit while everything was calm.
The timing seemed right for a picture here.
I've included this picture solely because of the face Katie is making.
...and this one, for Bonnie.
This one...well, for the monkey bread. I tend to feel really excited about things I cook so I sometimes take pictures of them. JC likes to make fun of me, so in this case he thwarted my plans by pulling a chunk out of it before I could take a picture! 
Okay, so, not really...he didn't do it on purpose and it's still a very pretty, if not symmetrical,  sight. :)
...and...back to Rockband. Doesn't Bonnie look proud to be the wife of the drummer?

Andrew and Ben (or, The BK, as he is nicknamed by said Uncle) enjoy some bonding time at the piano.


And, well, after some food, fun and lots of squeeling kids (can't blame it on anyone else's 'cause we're the only ones who have them so far!), everyone went about their Christmas Day business.  Our boys took naps, Bethany played (pretty) quietly with some new toys, JC tried out some new games and I dozed on the couch (ignoring the mess in the kitchen and the playroom) while it rained outside. This Christmas really brought fantastic weather with it!
Later that evening, I straightened up the mess I had previously ignored, JC threw together a salad and warmed up some bread bowls. His mom, better known these days as Grandma Teri, came over with some scrumptious soup and we had a perfect Christmas feast! Yummmmmy.
Ben agrees.

We ended the day with playing and visiting, plus introducing Grandma Teri to the Wii Fit she had gifted us. We all tried it out. I've decided it is the great equalizer. If there's one way to bond with others, it's attempting to stand on a small white platform, acheive perfectly centered balance and knock virtual soccer balls with your head. Oh, but of course, also dodging the shoes getting hurled at you. Anyway, we had a lot of fun and the best part was we had a whole weekend still ahead of us to enjoy the post-holiday time together! Which we did.

We have a lot to be grateful at Christmastime this year. We always do. I struggled with getting in to the spirit of it all for a while this year because there just seems to always be so much to think about and get done and worry about...then it suddenly sneaks up and I've forgotten to prepare for it or approach it with any purpose.  It seems that day to day life takes up every ounce of energy and thought I have much of the time! Holidays take special effort - - not something I can always muster up! But, with the support and thoughtfulness of others (thanks, Mom, for surprising me with a festively decorated house after you babysat and to all others who have hosted family gatherings, sent treats over, and given thoughtful gifts, etc.) we enjoyed quite the lovely Christmas, even if I didn't do all of the involved and  meaningful things I had hoped to do. Family is meaningful as is.  Even plates of cookies, fudge and bread are meaningful at this time of year! :) 
Though I will not be lame and talk too much about presents, I do have to give some credit to my wonderful husband who did some very sweet things this year. I have long admired the Tiffany's heart toggle necklace (you know, like the one she wears on Legally Blonde? Come on...you know you know that movie like the back of your hand...) and I am now the rather spoiled owner of both the necklace and the bracelet. 

Here, right after JC gave them to me (I told you, we never wait until the appropriate day to give gifts...this was like, the week before Christmas!) he was being sneaky and taking pictures of me wearing the necklace. I am humoring him and including this picture, though I feel slightly vain. :)


He was also sneaky and spied me admiring this tiny little compact laptop thing in Target one day, muttering something about how it would be perfect for when I start writing "my book" (as my always-looming project has come to be called) because I could tote it around in the diaper bag or easily slip it into a purse to have on hand here or there...or easily transfer it upstairs or downstairs, kitchen counter, playroom couch, etc.  Plus, it looked really easy to use. Yep, I need that. So, I also muttered something about how perhaps it would be on my Christmas list the following year. 
Christmas Eve, he walks through the door..."Um...I did something." And pulls it out from behind his back. I hugged him, kissed him, and cried a little because I was so surprised. We NEVER surprise each other. The only time I've pulled off surprising him was with the wii this summer for his birthday. And he totally knocked me off my feet with this one. 
There was already a document created on the computer. It said: 
"To: the best chick in the world
I love you so much. I hope this helps you to acheive your dreams. Now, write a book and make me some money."
(for those of you unfamiliar, this is his application of humor.)
What a nice boy.
SO, all those who have been on my case about "my book"...I now have the means...if you could, uh, help me find the time...it should happen any day now! :)

Anyway, it was a great Christmas. We enjoyed our time with family, not just on this day but during the weeks leading up.  And the kids had a lot of fun, coming to understand more about Christmas in general. Good times.
More of those to come, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Hawkes said...

Those Christmas pictures are incredible! I loved them!

Pam Price said...

This post made me realize...I've never been to your house! Sad=Me.

So glad you guys had a great Christmas! Family is what it is all about (Oh, besides Jesus, I mean).