Sunday, February 17, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD/GRANDPA!!!

Yes, we get to celebrate another birthday this week! And it's a great one at that. : ) True to what is probably his preference, I will not share too many pictures BUT I have to share my favorite - - a picture that is definitely true to his nature (um, not the lipgloss part...the fun, goofy, good-natured and kind part that lets a two-year-old make his lips sparkly.)


Things to celebrate about Dad and Grandpa
His one-of-a-kind sense of humor...nobody else comes close! (I think that, at one time or another, each of my friends have said to me "Your dad is the funniest person I have ever met!")
His one-of-a-kind, well balanced approach to parenting. Perfect parts friend and father.
His one-of-a-kind way of giving good advice but never judging.
His one-of-a-kind way of always finding new ways to sign "dad" at the end of an email.
His one-of-a-kind way of never being too busy.
His one-of-a-kind talent for coming up with the best games for family home evening ever, including but not limited to: throwing cotton balls at the revolving ceiling fan, finish the picture, sock wars (just what it sounds like), etc.
His one-of-a-kind love for literature, art, culture, history and Star Trek.
His one-of-a-kind way of teaching us about life, love and the pursuit of happiness/late night bowls of ice cream in plaid pajamas.
His one-of-a-kind feet of which he started asking me, at a very early age, if they smelled like strawberries or blueberries. It has always been up to me and my siblings...and now my children...to determine this. I don't know that any of us have claimed the experiment as worth examining...
His one-of-a-kind way of setting an example...never yelling or acting angry...partnering with my mom in truly using love as a tool in raising five kids who love and look up to him very much.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR ONE-OF-A-KIND POPS/DA/GRANDPA/PAPANWA!

4 comments:

Laura! said...

Yay! Happy B-day Papanwa~

Katie and Howard said...

I was so against this whole blog thing…but its actually a fun way for people to stay caught up! Please, tell JC I said "hi" too!! We should defiantly do brunch some time! I'd LOVE to catch up! Oh, the good ol’ days!!

-Katie

Curtis, Crystal, Vance, Kael, and Merek Birdno said...

Hey Mandy this is Crystal. It has been forever so I understand if you don't remember me. Anyway I just wanted to say hi and that your kids are so cute. Have a great day!!!

Curtis, Crystal, Vance, Kael, and Merek Birdno said...

I am so glad that you remember me. I was having one of those moments when I wrote that post. I love being a mom and it is really hard to be away from my family but I think that it is making me stronger and that it has made Curtis and I closer. It was very hard though. I have wanted to talk to you for such a long time. Your kids look just like you. WE definitely will have to chat sometime.