Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rite of Passage

I can't remember why we had them in the house, the Oreos.
Maybe there was a late night craving a few days previous. Maybe I baked something that required them. I really can't remember.

I can't remember why we had bought it, the cow's milk.
Almond milk rules the roost around here...and I don't know why we had the other stuff on hand. Maybe JC had wanted to join us in cereal consumption (he doesn't really do the almond thing). Maybe it was purchased purely to give companionship to the Oreos. I really can't remember that either.

But one Sunday afternoon, we found ourselves with both Oreos AND cow's milk.
- - JC thinks I should just call it 'milk.' But...this is my way of reminding myself where it comes from and giving myself the opportunity to question why it is I drink it. I...do still drink it sometimes...yes, but at least I think about it first. :)
And besides, if we say "goat's milk," "breast milk," "soy milk," "almond milk," etc...why do we simply say "milk" when it comes to cow's milk anyway? Who decided that, one might wonder...

But this is not about discriminating against this milk or that milk...
It is about Oreos and milk.
And about the connection between that and childhood. The chocolate. The cream. The dunking.
I figure that, even if we rarely have stuff like this in the house, this is one of the things I want my kids to hear about from me FIRST.
Differing cultural views...the birds and the bees...unkindness in the world...important values to maintain...Oreos and milk...
There are just some things, as a parent, you must teach your children about before they venture too far out there.
Because if they don't hear about it from you, they will hear about it from someone else.
Right.
So.
Sunday afternoon.


The children were presented with the cookies.
JC poured a glass of milk
And the teaching began.

Bethany, ever the big sister, went first.

The boys followed suit.


Aaaaand...
WOW!

Back for more!

Every last crumb was enjoyed.

And how.

But then they were gone.

...wha...???


I know, kids, I know.
But don't worry, this isn't the end of Oreos at the Ballard Household.
They'll come back around someday.
(Not as often as the green smoothies, but I promise, they will come back...)
(and I won't hide them on the top shelf in the pantry...every time...)

No comments: