Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cell Snapshots: Helping Brothers

So, as it turns out, in the archives of Cell Phone Photo Land, I have documented a few instances of my boys being adorably helpful.
Check it out...

Last year, like every year, our neighbor's pine tree rained pine needles on our backyard. You would think the three-inch-thick blanket of pine needles would be obnoxious, but I'm just so darn excited we have a gorgeous pine tree waving above us, smelling all good, I don't mind at all.
One day, the boys took to raking those pokey things up.
Ben rushed right into action.


James took over and, in true James fashion, he proceeded to rake everything into a nice, straight line.


And that was that.

Another day, I believe early on in the summer, I found the boys getting ready for church. (I will never ceased to be amazed that I can now say "Go get your church clothes on!" and they do it by themselves.)
Anyway, I went to check on them and found a buttoning lesson occurring.

"Now you try."

"Almost, but see...here...you gotta..."

"Yes, you almost have it...but no, push it a little more..."


"...Yeah...uh-huh...well, you're obviously not into this...I'm just going to do it myself."

James loves to button his own church shirt.


He's pretty much got it down!


More recently, we were getting ready to head out to a family dinner. James had mastered putting his sandals on, but Ben was still struggling.
The elder took it upon himself to help out.
This time he didn't bother with instruction.
Just went ahead and did it for him.

Almost...

Almost...

Got the right one!
On to the left!



"Does that feel okay? That fit right?"

Aaaaand....apparently, it is true what they say.
When we're helping, we're happy!


I love these boys. And though it was the brothers documented here, Bethany is most definitely a happy helper as well! No, no, they aren't ready and willing to do each and every little thing I ask of them, BUT they are sweet and kind and notice ways to help so often. And most of the time, they have a wonderful attitude about helping and contributing and I love that they want each other to succeed at little things like buttoning and coloring ("You aren't scribbling Ben! And you're staying inside the lines!!! Wow!") and buckling shoes. So often I overhear them encouraging each other, coaching each other in a kind way, and complimenting on jobs well done. These cute pictures I found remind me of all those times!

5 comments:

katilda said...

i have been loving your blog lately, even if i've neglected to comment! i really like that close-up picture of james when he's putting the shoes on. i swear they don't even notice you taking pictures anymore, do they? become too normal.

word: ballinyo. What the homies on the park across the street will answer if i ask them what they're doing.

Monica Christiansen said...

Everything about this is to stinkin adorable! But my favorite part is, admittedly, the pictures of James raking the pine needles into a line. Are we the same person, or what? :)

Ali said...

Cute little helpers! Maybe they could come give my kids a lesson or 2 about being "helpful" :)

Hawkes said...

James as a show salesmen is hilarious. I died.

Peterson Family said...

That is so sweet!! It's because they have such wonderful parents! :)