Sunday, September 18, 2011

1st Grade...Kindergarten...Here We Come!

Okay, prepare yourself.
Because I know you are concerned about the topic of this post.
I know you are still emotionally attached to the idea that Bethany is still a toddler and James is still a fat little baby who can't even sit in the bumbo because his legs are too chunky. I know, I know.
So...
let me break this to you slowly...
They are...
both of them...
in elementary...sch....school.

- - Let's just sit with that for a moment. - -

We okay?
Okay, great, let's move on.

Once you see some pictures of how darn happy and excited they were about it all, you will feel better.
No, I promise.

First day of school.
Miss Bethany headed off to first grade, to Mrs. Lunsford's class!
And Mr. James ready and willing to jump into kindergarten, in Mrs. Standage's class!
They could hardly sit still.

I love that they love each other.


So, here's our veteran school-go-er.
Got a year under her belt and she is ready to take on the first grade world!


And this little guy...
oh man...
off he goes!

He was ready.

Caught this moment here.
You can tell Ben knows it's the end of an era.
Last year was awesome, the two of them home together, having brotherly bonding time...
Now it's time for a new era, eh, Ben?

Good thing is, it's just a few hours out of a few days a week. Nothing this bunch can't handle.

Once we got to the school, we trekked across the field to the playground like we did last year.
Ben knew the way.
Last year he and James did it in a stroller. Holy heavens.
They grow up.
But anyway, look at them go.

JC was able to go into work a little late so he could see them off. I love that things like this are important to him.

Pretty girl.

Here's James, among all the chaos, lined up with his class! Ready to go.

And sweet Bethany found her sweet friend, Hannah, from church. They got to be in the same class this year which was the cause of much rejoicing.
Cute.


The first day, the first week, the first month...it all has gone pretty good. Not to say it doesn't take some getting used to! I have had my moments much more than they have had theirs, but it does take some adjusting on all of our parts. I can happily say that we are in a bit of a groove now. And we have moved past the first bit that held days where someone was lost, someone lost their lunch box, someone didn't know where to go, etc.
Bethany already wakes up some days and says she is too tired for school. So, the novelty has worn off a bit haha.
James is eager every single day to get back there. He gets a little miffed when it's not a school day. So I guess that is a good thing, right? I remember Bethany was like that last year. Ah, the beauty of the eager kindergartner!
Oh, but it is still hard sending them there every day. They feel out of my reach for a little too long for my liking but that it a part of all of us growing up. And I know they are good, happy kids with a strong sense of who they are. Luckily, I am reminded of that often...like when Bethany was asked to bring in five things that would fit in a paper bag that would tell about herself.

All on her own, she chose a horse, a little picture of a girl playing on the computer, a picture of Mason and JC together, and pictures of Jesus and of her family.

I guess, even if they spend their days out in the unpredictable world of elementary school, we're doing okay. :)

1 comment:

Kristyn said...

Adorable pictures! They are growing up so quickly! I love the photos of the three of them hugging on the stairs and I really love what Bethany took to her class to share about herself. I only wish we lived closer so we could spend more time playing with them! :)