Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cell Snapshots Round 2: Food

If there is anything I take pictures of as much as my messy house, it's FOOD. My sister, Katie, and I in particular, have exchanged many-a-pic so that someone else could rejoice in what we made/messed up/were eating...
Here are what apparently were some of my greatest moments in the kitchen during the last couple of years...

I have probably sent Katie variations on this picture a dozen times. It is one of my favorite lunches. Sliced turkey, avocado, tomatoes, salt and peppered with orange slices and pretzels on the side. Also good with cucumber slices atop. If I am trying to do especially well I will nix the meat and just go with the veggies/fruit. I am being especially bad, I will add shredded cheese. Sharp white cheddar is the best.

The first time I made homemade pasta. It turned out...okay. I took it to a family dinner. Bless my family for eating it. :)

A cute little cookbook with Disney characters and not-too-shabby ingredients!
We made this. I made lots of substitutions to turn the not-so-shabby into really-healthy.
It was...bad.
But pretty!

Hawaiian Haystack fixins.
Platter style.

A baked bbq lays chip.
My family sometimes makes fun of the way people find images in food and worship it. And sell it on ebay.
Anyway, one day, I discovered this chip that I thought looked like Joseph Smith if you tilt your head to the right. Totally his profile.
(Not really, it's more like Napoleon...or really...just any guy with a prominent nose and less prominent chin...but anyway...)

Lemon chicken.
I have no memory of making this.

A shot of my cupboard pantry.
For some reason unexplained.
Maybe to showcase our kitchen at a less-than-bountiful time. Haha, look at all the Great Value labels. They should just read: Not Real Food. But What Other Choice Do You Have This Month? :)

Plums from our tree!




I remember making this.
Yum. It was some pecan crusted tilapia thing with brown rice, etc.
It was so good.
Wouldn't it be awesome to live near the ocean and get good seafood all the time?
Oh Duke's of Huntington Beach. I long to return.

This was something that was supposed to be some Indian chicken dish...then I kept realizing that I didn't have ingredients the recipe called for...so I would substitute. And it got...weird. (Yes, that is cilantro sprinkled on top. Not exactly a middle eastern herb, is it?)
But it was pretty.
And it made my house smell...confused...

Some stir fry I made.
Can't really tell.
(Recurring theme of pictures I take of food...tends to involve oranges.)

Enchiladas! JC and I are in search of every great enchilada recipe in the world! We plan to have 20+ that we rotate through every...20+ days...

Ben's birthday cake!

Took like, three days to get it all made. Better believe I'm sending pictures to my family.

Chicken Parmesan.
One of my favorite meals to have made (as in to be eating and done with the cooking) and one of my least favorite to actually make. I can never quite get the process down to the point that it doesn't feel horribly hectic. I have made it a gazillion times and yet I still don't have my flow down.
But here it is, simmering away!

Some sort of chicken.
I think I took a picture because I broiled without JC's supervision and didn't burn it.
Besides, I like to send JC pictures of dinner when it's ready on the nights that he has to work late. I am mean like that.

My cubed bread, drying out for the stuffing at Thanksgiving last year!

Okay.
I think these are the rolls we had at...Thanksgiving? Or Christmas?
And I remember there is a reason I took this picture. There is something...an already-eaten sucker stick maybe? stuck into the roll near the middle...I feel like this was something funny that happened at our family gathering but I can't remember the story.
So...just the picture for your viewing pleasure.
Though you can't see any colors really or tell what's going on, this is my strawberry jam simmering away! I made some more recently and it is yummy.
I need to learn how to can though.

Blurry cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving!

Chicken broth cooking up last December!
I haven't made this since then! Mostly because I haven't found a great price on chicken. But also because I got really sick the day after this and the house still smelled like this. So, you know...the mental connection and all...

Lemons from my parent's house in the winter! I love it!
There is something so photogenic about lemons.
I wonder if the other fruits get jealous...

A loaf of bread.
I like making bread.
It's a love/hate relationship I have with it...but I like making it!



And, last but not least, a shot of one of the kids' lunch plates at some point.
Looks like a sandwich, some popcorn, nuts and dried cranberries, cucumber slices, and dried mango.
What would you call that meal?
Sandwich Spectacular?
I Wish Mom Would Just Feed Us Spaghettios Already?


Well, there you have it.
That was actually surprisingly boring to narrate. Haha...maybe because I'm not hungry. Or...maybe I am boring. BUT no matter.
I will end this post with another subject appropriate announcement...I set up a blog like, ten (or two) years ago to use for my recipes and what not. I have messed with it here and there but never done much with it. This is still the case BUT since I have been trying to cook a lot more this summer, I decided I finally need to put the food blog to use. SO, I am going to start posting on it periodically! So far there is just one recipe but I will add at least one more this week! Then one or two the following week, etc. etc. Feel free to hop on over any time, take a look, and definitely leave comments if you have any tips, ideas, links to good recipes, etc.
I will probably post some of my and my family's tried and true recipes as well as simple everyday ones I use a lot, plus others I find in my search for new favorites!
So far, this summer has been all about homemade snacks, so expect a lot of that for the next while!
So, here is the link: Ballard Belly Pleasers
I also put it over on the side. :)
Happy browsing...of my one recipe...haha more to come!

No comments: