Monday, January 31, 2011

A Day of Joy and Gladness...

I will have you know that today is NOT the day I am referring to in the title.
Today was one of those days.
One of those days that demands you multi-task on all levels of your consciousness but somehow inhibits you from successfully doing so.
One of those days that finds your every effort undone and every near-triumph thwarted.
Yes, I'm being dramatic.
It's one of those days that brings out the dramatic side of me.
One of those days that I know I better not have an important conversation about anything in particular or it will turn into an opportunity to rant about whatever chain of topics I find myself attacking.
...maybe it's one of those days I'm better off not blogging...
Haha, but you know what I love about getting older? You start to realize that these 'one of those days' are just that. One of those days. There will be more. And there have been more. And...it's really nothing more than something to laugh at/marvel at/stand back and be entertained by. But not get mad at.
(And when it's 'one of those days' you also know that if you feel mad at anyone, it's better to just accept that you feel mad today. Tomorrow you probably won't. Again, no serious conversations or discussions on these types of days. Except, apparently, with you, whoever I'm talking with at this point, typing this.)

So, on this day I am distracting myself with one of the most exciting things I have ever had to post about.
A wedding. :)

On Thursday, January 27th, my sister, Monica married her sweet friend-who-is-a-boy, Austin. (...wait, do we not have to call him that anymore?)
They used to be in denial about how in love they always have been.
And we had to call him that.
But now...I suppose I get to just call him my brother.
Sweet.

Sweeter still? This picture I made my grandpa take on my camera while were posing for the real photographer.
Well, actually, it wasn't even the real photographer because that would be Bonnie.
But she is a sister (albeit not a "real" sister...family joke...) and is in this picture.
SO, the Assistant Real Photographer (Assistant to the Real Photographer?) took this picture.
Not this one in particular.
I already said my grandpa took this one.
She took the one we were posing for. And he snapped this one on the side.
(Somebody needs to stop me right now.)
Laura, Bonnie, MONICA, moi, Katie.
I like how I am the oldest and shortest and Laura is the youngest and tallest.
Well. That picture got more than its fair share of commentary.
I may need to take something if I'm going to finish this post in one piece.

Here are some cute kids who got dressed up for the occasion.

Full of dignity, they are.




These are my grandparents. :)
They are my mom's parents and they live in Texas and I love them and miss them.
Their names are Bob and Mary. My kids call them Grandpa Bobby and Great Grandma, or some variation of these things.
I think I will frame this picture.
Or drive to Texas monthly.

Random snapshot of the adorable couple.
I took this picture right after they had finally gotten a break from taking the real pictures and Austin shot me a look and said, "It's ten dollars a picture."
Well, look at that.
All we had to do was marry him into the family and he comes alive with humor. :)

He and Ben were able to find the opportunity to have a heart-to-heart as two of the newer additions to the family.


James was able to find an opportunity to hide somewhere.
Doesn't he always.

Here, the kids are getting a talking-to of a preventative nature, concerning their active natures and the breakable nature of all the things that were beginning to emerge as part of the reception decor.
P.S. Isn't that a great color on my handsome husband?
P.P.S. Talking-to or no talking-to, I am pretty sure we almost broke nearly everything that was of any importance at one point or another. The best was when I heard an unfortunate 'clang' and turned around to find Ben holding the champagne glasses meant for the wedding toast (sparkling cider, of course). He had discovered they make a neat sound when you hit them together.

Uncle Andrew kept them distracted from disaster for a while with his song and dance routine.
I wish I could have caught this on video.

A bit later, I discovered they were once again being distracted and entertained by something about this round seating area here. But I couldn't figure out what was so amusing about it for them.

Until my cousin, Angela, popped out for what was clearly the latest in a succession of exciting and animated surprises for them. They were loving it.

Once guests started arriving, we ran into the usual problem for us at any sort of celebration.
Ben thinks that the word 'present' means 'for Ben.'
It legitimately upsets him when presents are not for him.

Hey, there's a familiar face!
Grandma Teri arrived just in time to rescue them from their growing restlessness.
The evening was getting long for the little ones.
What a pretty picture.

Aw.
The married couple.
(My tab now sits at $20)

I love Monica's reaction to Bethany's excitement over...a marshmallow.

The string quartet arrived and started playing.
The kids were enamored.
These girls play in orchestra with Laura so they are somewhat familiar faces.
Kristen (yes?) let them try out the violin. I was impressed with her graciousness.
And, of course, the kids loved it.


James, always an artist at heart, had found his spot for the rest of the evening.

Another beautiful Grandma!

Having shared moments with grandmas and violinists, Bethany moved on to her favorite person to be ridiculously SILLY with.
Aunt Bonnie.

And, on the topic of silliness...
this is what happens when you leave your camera unattended (aka lose it momentarily) and my sister, Katie, is present.

Among all the crazy shenanigans, these guys got their first dance in.
It was all very sweet.

As the evening wound down, they got ready to head off and begin their adventurous honeymoon all over California and back.
I had to share this picture because it's the only one I got of Monica in her snazzy post-reception outfit. Switch the gown for a white sweater dress and the heels for tall boots. Keep the bling.
Gorgeous and brilliant.
And I think Austin is shaking my dad's hand in the background.
Guess it's a done deal, kids.

And we are so glad.

And...my day feels a lot better now. :) I am so happy to have Austin in the family and Monica with someone she shares such love, respect, and genuine caring with. They are a fantastic couple and it will be so fun spending time with them in the next couple months before they head back up to Idaho for school.

P.S. When Bonnie gets the wedding pictures up on her photography blog, I'll link over. They are going to be amazing, I know it!!!

1 comment:

Hawkes said...

Now I am nervous about the pictures being amazing! Should I worry that a picture of me is always associated with the silly?? Ha ha ha My poor children. I will put the wedding pictures on the blog when I get home from work today. :) I am going to tell Briana she is now the assistant to the real photographer. ha ha Amazing. I will now like to be known as "Real Photography. Not Real Sister." ha ha ha oh and technically Austin and I are the newest to the family. Ben was already born when Andrew and I got married. :) ha ha