Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Best Medicine

Today I feel funky.
I don't know why.

Maybe it's because we are still coming out of the fog that was potty training. (more on that later)

Maybe it's because the weather is changing. (Apparently, I am like a zoo animal in that way)

Maybe it's because I am feeling a bit of cabin fever. But I don't really want to go anywhere...

Hence...
the funk.


So...
I text my friend, Heidi, who moved to Utah and told her I missed her. (I do.)

I called my friend, Ali, who lives in Queen Creek (sometimes feels like it might as well be Utah haha I am such a spoiled central Gilbert girl) and set up a playdate for next week. We talked about the summer and all the fun things we will do together with the kids. (So excited!)

I tried to build a sandcastle. It cheered me up the other day. Not as much today. People around me kept pooping and needing assistance. And by people I mean the little kind. Also, Buzz Lightyear thought it was funny to keep knocking it down. He couldn't be convinced otherwise. (You try reasoning with him.)

I had Filiberto's nachos for lunch. Seriously. I got in the car, with all the kids, and drove to Filiberto's. I have never in my life done this. There is so little on those nachos that is on the list of things I eat normally - fried chips, no. Cheese, no. Guacamole, no. Sour cream, no. Beef, no. Tomatoes and Onions are the only winners. But I got them anyway. And I ate them anyway. I even kept eating when it got to the point where I needed to bring in a fork.

A few minutes later, I text my sister, Katie - "Nachos are not the answer."
She text back immediately - "Don't ever say that to me again."

After that I felt a little better because I had an attack of laughter which caused the kids to stop their playing and stare at me in concern.

Now it's rest time and I want to make the rest of the day better.
Without nachos. And without those m&ms that are sitting up high in the cupboard.
But maybe with the new skirts I ordered that I know are sitting in my mailbox.
Oh, and maybe with some happy, rested kids.
Better go check on that right now.

That's all.
(Said like Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada." That will never not be funny.)

P.S. Since I just quoted that, it made me realize that maybe a good way to cheer up an entire day is to think of some other parts of movies that make me laugh for reasons I can't explain. Like on "Unbreakable" when Samuel L. Jackson's character says, "One of us has made a grave error and wasted the other's valuable time." I am laughing so hard right now...why is that so funny??? Or on Hercules (yes, the Disney one) when Hades gets his fire-y hair-do extinguished and says, "Whoa. Is my hair out?" Hahaha Or on some baseball movie from when I was a kid and the kid hits his doctor in the nose and the doctor says, "Funky butt-lovin." And my dad would always laugh so hard he would cry.
Apparently, that is hereditary.

5 comments:

Laura! said...

Mandy, one day at school or somewhere, I tried to quote "One of us..." (with appropriate hand positions showing the ridiculous part in his hair) and no one understood! But I laughed hard anyway lol

Adam and Emily said...

HAHA!!!Funky Butt-lovin.... hello...Rookie of the year! And no...nacho's aren't the answer. You're funk must have been pretty bad to go to Filibertos! Although ice cream is always the answer.

katilda said...

I loved this oh so very much. I also accidentally typed "lover this" on my first try. Which I might just start saying. I lover this.

Today's word: pheran. That chemical that makes boys like girls. Also what p-diddy will name his next child.

Peterson Family said...

Mmmm, nachos sound good right now! :) Extra cheese please. Hey, beans aren't bad (well, maybe your hubby would disagree later- haha)!!

Actually, I ate a bagel with onion and chive cream cheese for breakfast and it reminds of the part in 'The Devil Wears Prada' when the gay guy (sorry, can't remember his name) says outloud on Andy's first day "and, who ate an onion bagel?" and she totally sniffs her breath in her hand!! haha Makes me laugh everytime I see it!

Carrie said...

thanks for the laugh. seriously is the best medicine. also... mmm... nachos. i've never had the filibertos ones, but i see them in my future. and my excuse is that i'm pregnant. but dave would probably say that's even more reason to not have them... i never say that though. and neither does the baby.