Sunday, August 2, 2009

You built a fort, didn't you?

Oh, the Friday morning we had this week!
It was just one of those mornings that tried to wring the sanity right out of me. We were tired yet restless, silly yet sensitive, cute yet obnoxious, hotter than you-know-what yet recovering from colds, etc.
And just darn bored. There was so much to be done and yet I just couldn't bring myself to do any of it with a little one trailing my every step ("Me-you, me-you, me-you!") and two not-quite-as-little-ones moving between playing and fighting every five seconds.
SOOOO . . .
I decided to rearrange the playroom, fort-style.

James helped.

Then James climbed.


Bethany jumped.

Ben crawled.

Then he decided we needed some literature to keep us company on our stake-out.

James guarded the entrance with his life.

Later, we ate lunch in the fort.
I like forts. They provide creative yet very controlled shelter.
If there is one thing I like, it's creative yet controlled things.
Better than a tent. They are sturdier. Plus, they don't fall on me like that one time in my grandma's backyard when we were having a cousin sleepover. (though that is still a favorite childhood memory)

To end, a quote (don't worry, this won't become habit with all posts...even though I ended the last post with one too . . .)

This quote is less representative of the world in which I was raised and more representative of the world into which I married. : )
Um...it's also less of a quote and more of a...quotable scene?


Chandler: What are you doing?
Joey: Nothing.
Chandler: You built a fort, didn't you?
Joey: Kinda.
Chandler: (finds something amidst all Ross's boxes) Oh my gosh! The air purifier! Ross's air purifier! All I heard through four years of college was mmmmmhmmmmmhmmmm.
Joey: Dude, you should've gone out once in a while.
Chandler: I hate this thing!
Joey: Come on, Chandler, Ross is our friend. He needs us right now, so why don't you be a grown-up and come and watch some TV in the fort!?!


I am glad that, in my grown-up world, I still get to play in forts too.

No comments: