Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ballard Family Rules

In an effort lately to be more purposeful in my parenting, I have been thinking a lot about a lot of things.
What else is new, right?

Well, anyway, at least this time it's focused thinking on specific things. :)

Here is something I read that stuck out to me. It's kind of long but, come on...it's me we're talking about, nothing's really short and sweet now, is it?


. . . The old adage holds true: If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything. The effort and courage you put into following your values communicates their importance to your children. I am always alarmed when a child tells me, "My family isn't any different from anyone else's." Your children need to know that there are values and principles and other guildelines that they are expected to follow.


Children get into trouble when they don't have guidelines. It is your job to provide those guidelines. They don't know right from wrong any more than they know left from right -- unless you tell them. You have to give them a foundation for making informed decisions. They will be tempted, coerced, and led astray by others. It is your job to build in a self-correcting system.


What are the truths and standards by which you try to run your life? If you have not clearly set standards for conduct, they have no way of measuring. Until they are mature adults, they need guidance, and they will follow your example, whether it is good or bad. Do you ever lie to get your way? Do you have a clear concept of justice? Do you ever settle personal conflicts by making threats or by seeking a common ground? Is it ever right to break the rules at school? Is it smart or cute to mouth off to authority?


A caution: If you fail to live up to your established standards, then you'd better be willing to explain yourself. Children can spot hypocrisy with amazing speed. If you don't walk the talk, they will call you on it, and they will want to know why they should follow guidelines that you ignore.


Today, hold a formal family meeting to make your standards clear. Ask for their suggestions. You'll be surprised at their need for limits and guidelines. I recommend no more than five main rules.



That was taken from Dr. Frank Lawlis' book titled "Mending the Broken Bond." I probably could conjure up a memory on the appropriate way to quote from a book but considering this is a blog and a private one at that, I won't bother.

The point is, this struck a chord with me so I thought and thought and thought and came up with what I think best encompasses everything I would love for my children to have in their "self-correcting system" in order to move through this life in the happiest way possible.
So, I give you . . .


The Ballard Family Rules



In our family...

1. We are kind.

2. We are honest.


3. Our choices have consequences
.




And, there you have it.
I guess, sometimes, when it matters most, I can make it short and sweet!

1 comment:

kelly's so called life said...

hey- you guys could work for walgreens. company 4 1 is it true? 2 is it kind? 3 is it constructive? 4 will it build good will?