Monday, June 6, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

I am blogging from our front room tonight.
I really love our front room. It is almost always uncluttered (unless you count the bookshelves), and probably the only room in the house that is actually done to a point where I feel like it is mostly finished. It holds rich, earthy colors and makes me think of a library. I don't know why. Someday we will have a coffee table, rug, artfully arranged bookshelves, and seasonal decor that switches in and out according to the time of year.
Someday someday we will have bookcases that surrounds the fireplace, swinging up and over the mantle, spanning the entire wall. With an accompanying ladder that rolls me back and forth to make my selections up and down the bookcase. My kids will probably hate it because they will be afraid their kids will try to climb up, fall, and hurt themselves. So I will have to have one of those chains and locks on it like the ones you see on the giant rolling ladders at Home Depot. Only...not gross. Speaking of Home Depot, the rug I want for this room is there. Is that super lame, to buy a rug from the land of power tools and garden supplies? ...I don't actually think I care. I love it. It called to me as I walked past the carpet area, headed to the garden area months ago.
"Hello friend! I belong with you!"
This doesn't happen to me often but when it does, I accept destiny. I visit it every time I am there.
This rug shall grace my front room someday.
The front room from which I blog tonight.
Ah yes, that is why I started rambling...
SO, back to that.
I am blogging from the front room tonight because JC is enthralled in a Bourne book of sorts and likes to sit in the comfy recliners and read. So I am joining him while I blog. Quality time, right?
That's really all that needs said.

So, moving on...our Memorial Day Weekend...

School had just gotten out and we all had a long weekend ahead of us. Our only real plan was as follows:

Set up a tent in the playroom.

Eat hot dogs. Pretend we roasted them over a fire.

Prepare s'mores.

Actually do roast them over a fire.
Well, a small camp stove set up on our grill.

And enjoy the heck out of those bad boys.


Mmmyes. Did you know that I love s'mores?
It is a combination of flavors almost as wonderful as the nostalgia that accompanies that good ol' chocolate, graham, and 'mallow.
Growing up in the era of The Sandlot will do that to ya.

We then continued with our plans of...lazying in the grass...

Except...wait...these are not my children.
These...are...not...
They couldn't be.
These children are grown ups.

Ah! There they are! Yes, yes, THESE are my children!
These are definitely my children.

As are these.
Yes, never fear, all is right in the world again.

Except...well...darn it, I really like these ones too.
But man alive, do they have to get SO big SO fast???
Alright, I will be done with my fit now. I am allowed one per blog post, yes?

Checking on our fruit trees...
one tangelo this year.
One.
Stinking birds.

James checked out the plum tree...

and excitedly discovered...

that they are just about ready!

Our apple tree is plugging along. Surprised me with a bunch of blossoms! I thought we were going bare for another year but turns out she's just a late bloomer.
Worth the wait though! Gorgeous!

But...back to lazying in the grass...Ben spent some quality time with Scout.
Notice how Scout isn't sure he completely trusts the situation...

But that's okay, because soon enough he was the only one left in the backyard.
Just he and the dump truck.
Happy playtime.

Inside, the plan moved along to impromptu story time.
Which I found rather cute. So I sat there and took pictures.
It's what I do.

Then, the plan was to sleep in the tent.
So they settled in.
Look how excited they are!

A couple of hours later, this was the scene.
Abandoned James.
Not that he was complaining. Slept straight to morning.
(If you ask me, I'm with the other two...'Wait...my bed is available? My bed is available...and you think it is in my best interest to sleep...here? Ha. See ya.')
But good ol' James. He'll sleep anywhere for any amount of time.

It was fun for them to have just a small, simple, different kind of night in. We had fun too. After they went to bed we played Scattergories and Rummikub. A favorite of his that I tolerate and a favorite of mine that he...actually likes too. So, good times.

The rest of the weekend was pretty chill...eased into the summer.
I feel like we are starting to get the hang of this new season. Though we actually got sick...Bethany was already kinda sick during Memorial Day weekend...so that offset us a little. But, we are enjoying being together (mostly), having nowhere to go (mostly), and being able to fill our day with things of our choosing (mostly). Haha, soon I will have to post about how we spend our days.
It's a pretty cool place to live, this here house.
Now if we could all get all the way better so it could be a pretty clean place to live...
oh well. Can't have it all!

2 comments:

Lindsey and Brett said...

Have I mentioned how jealous I am of your backyard? Well, I am. I love it. I also love everything is this post! S'mores, camping in the house, laying in the grass, baby pictures. It's all perfect! I wish we were doing some of those things right now. Oh well. I'll live through you and your blog. So keep it coming!

Hawkes said...

I wish I had been invited for smores!! ha ha oh wait... I have diabetes. Dang. ha ha 4 more weeks and THEN you should invite me over for some. ha ha I LOVE the tent in the house. So awesome. I will have to do that for sure.