Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Shenanigans, Part 3: Pasta Party

What do you do when your kitchen looks like this?:


The obvious answer is not to clean but rather add to the mess substantially by making homemade pasta with your 5, 4, and 2 yr olds.
I mean, doesn't it just make sense?

The kids were super involved in the entire process.
They (with some guidance) measured the flour.

Dumped in the eggs.

Since I did the work of mixing it all gently together by hand, (literally by hand...it's the best way!), I involved them by trying to scare the kids with my sticky monster hands. They were amused with my attempt.

Once things were all mixed up, they kneaded...

punched...

and worked that dough into its prime!

When I took the dough over to the counter to rest for a few minutes, I turned around to find this:
They can always find a way to amuse themselves.

I let them play while I pulled out the drying rack and pasta maker. I checked on the dough and washed the pot to be used in the near future (you remember what my sink looked like...nothing was clean). When I returned to the table, I found them already assembling the drying rack.
I may be biased but I am pretty sure we are dealing with hugely ambitious geniuses.
I'm just saying.

When it was time to get started rolling out and cutting the pasta, they were so interested and so eager. At this point, we had already been working for a good half hour. Usually by that point, everyone would be scattered in different directions but apparently pasta making is a pleasing activity to this group!
Look at them go.


(You will notice that James was self-appointed supervisor to make sure all was going as it should)

Their favorite part was cutting the flattened dough into noodles.

My favorite part was seeing the glorious sight of pasta abundance when we were all done.

And...the mess we left behind.

But my oh my, the goodness that was spaghetti that night.
Seriously, simple, boring spaghetti turned into something amazing. I think I have an unhealthy love for homemade pasta.

But at least I'm not alone!

This was so much fun I swear I never want to buy pasta from the store again. The kids LOVED doing it! It took over an hour to get it all done and I don't think any of them ever blinked during the process.
I was equally captivated. I love creating things from scratch.
And I especially love doing it as a family.
We can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

that is really cool. did you make more than enough for dinner that night? like did you dry some for another meal? or did it just make enough for that night. i could really see branson being way into a project like that, what with the crank and all.