Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Our Last First Day of Preschool!

After the two older kids started school this past August, Ben and I had a month with nothing but the two of us and a big empty house. Neither of us were quite sure what to do with this one on one time! I couldn't seem to get much done around the house, I was used to having kids underfoot all day. He couldn't seem to entertain himself, he was used to having older siblings to do that! He and I went through a very awkward transition phase together.
Some parts were hard (more the mental aspect for me, two of my kids being grown and gone it felt like haha), but you know what? It was a pretty nice month there for the two of us.
You know what we did?
We played "entend" all morning, we ate lunch together, then we watched a movie and fell asleep on the couch together.
That was pretty much how things went.

What is "entend?" you might ask? It is make believe. Pretend. "Entend."
All day as soon as the kids were off to school..."Mama, let's play entend." (He would gather up a few toys and hand me a couple of them. "Okay...now, Mama, entend he is running from her because she's a bad guy and entend the couch is a mountain and entend he is a good jumper so they have to jump over it and entend they are friends now and entend the bean bag is a monster and entend they try to make him a nice monster annnnnnd...entend...entend...Mama?"
Because by the time I was usually a little flustered trying to keep up with all we were entending and I had usually stopped moving and would be staring at him blankly.

So, that is how our days went for about a month.

Then, it was time for preschool.

Ben had been on the fence about starting preschool...he was nervous about spending time away from me and being in a new place. BUT, since brother and sister had gone through the same preschool with the same teacher, we had been to the same events...he knew he was going to be in good hands AND was finally going to get to do all the good stuff that he watched them do.
Have I ever mentioned how much I love our preschool?
I could write a book.
But I won't.
I will stick to blogging.
For now.
Anyway, it was time and hallelujah, he was ready.

Here he is, on his first day!!
Favorite shirt? Check.
New backpack? Check.
Excited expression? Check.

Oh, and silly bands? Check.
(Those he left in the car once we got there so he wouldn't lose them, he said.)

All that was left was shoes on and a ride in the car!


Upon arrival, nerves set in a little but he put on his brave face.
See?

There's a little bit of a smile!

Once inside, as is customary for the first day, he chose his playdoh and got to work.

He checked out his surroundings and his peers...

And even got a little excited!



I made sure to not show a bit of hesitancy once we were in and he seemed to be attempting the same haha. As I waved goodbye and walked out the door, I heard him cry out, "Mama!!" and turned around to see him pushing through everyone to get to me. I thought we were in for a meltdown. But, he stopped right in front of me, looked up...and I could see his lip quivering and eyes welling up...and he squeezed his little hands together at his side and said, "Goodbye, Mama." Then, he turned around and walked back to his seat where his playdoh and new friends were waiting.
Well, if that doesn't just tug at a mama's heart, I don't know what does...
I was so proud of him and so impressed with his bravery. :)
It does not come naturally to him at this point to embrace something new BUT it does seem to come naturally to him to recognize when something is good and safe and be willing to give it a try. Even just a year ago I wouldn't have said that...but he has grown. Which is why I am so excited for him to enjoy preschool this year! It took a few weeks for the goodbye to be a solid, excited goodbye, but we are there and he loves his preschool and his teachers and I love them as much as he does.
And I don't cry the whole way home like I did that first day.
We are growing up.

No comments: