Monday, April 4, 2011

Sedona

JC and I have been talking about going to Sedona for a while. I think we talk about going a lot of places but for one, I always worry that we will go somewhere, pick the entirely wrong place to stay, and ruin it for ourselves. For another thing, places far far away sound wonderful sometimes but most of the time anything too horribly far from home doesn't sound hugely appealing while the kids are so young.
So, the hippie in me was quite appeased when we decided on Sedona. My parents had been in recent years and recommended a great place to stay, and it's nice and close.

We were going to go for our anniversary for the last couple of years but timing wasn't quite right so we planned it for this spring. Just so happens the perfect weekend fell right on my birthday! It felt a little bit like we were doing this huge thing for my birthday which felt strange but...then again, as our weekend away approached, I was thinking so much about that I completely forgot it was my birthday most of the time!

We were excited to go spend some quiet restful time together...it might not have been ideal, considering JC was (and is) still recovering from his injuries and was pretty uncomfortable a lot of the time plus unable to drive. Meaning...he would be the one and only first-hand witness to my very first driving experience outside of the Valley of the Sun.
See how I am growing.

JC's mom was staying with the kids, which they were very excited about. Three whole days with Grandma Teri! She was kind enough to let us take her car so she could keep the van to haul the kids around...meaning she trusted me enough on my first driving experience outside of the Valley of the Sun to take her car. Big thanks to her. :) No, really, I am a good driver...I am just a rather cautious one, so that can sometimes come across as lacking in confidence. So people are sometimes less than confident in my skills. So, anyway, as we waved goodbye to our kids and got into the car, there was music playing that sounded awfully familiar. After just a few seconds, I rolled down my window to humorously explain to Teri that she had in her car the very CD I had been wanting. JC stopped me right away and then I realized that he had remembered that I wanted that CD and had gotten it for me. Well, had his mom pick it up for him and have it ready in the CD player so it would be on when we got in the car (remember, he still couldn't drive to do such an errand himself). So nice on both their parts. I was so excited. It was a group that performed at Time Out for Women last year when my mom and I went. I had really enjoyed them and felt like their music would be one of those fun sing-along-to-in-the-car types. Anyway, so, yes, thoughtful gift. We then coasted down the driveway into our cul-de-sac to begin our trip. (And I do mean coasted...in the excitement of the new CD, I forgot to turn the car on. The key was in the ignition when I got in the car so I just assumed it was on...)
And so began our journey.
It wasn't all that bad.
The best part was when JC asked how far I had driven before and I told him, then when we hit that point a while later he said, "This is the furthest you've been from the Shire..."
It was really funny.
The worst part was when we got to Sedona and I was elated that none of the roads had been TOO horrible...then realized that we had to pass through Sedona and drive more. And there were all kinds of twists and turns and drop-offs and a death bridge that made me laugh maniacally/cry.
That was really funny too.

Anyway, we got there. Junipine Resort. It was late and dark so we didn't get the full spectrum right away but we could certainly tell it was a lovely spot.

We didn't take a whole lot of pictures considering we mostly sat around enjoying our surroundings but we did take a nice walk one morning, along the Oak Creek. Which happened to be like, RIGHT outside where we were staying.
So I did take pictures then.


This was the view right at the beginning of the trail we took. The place we were staying was up to the right and the trail ran along the left of the creek.
So pretty.


Along the way, there was this orchard of what I think may have been apple trees but they weren't in bloom so I couldn't tell.
But there was this old tractor that I found charming.

As well as this little tree.
I loved this. Being just a little guy up against all the huge pine trees, when you stood and looked up through his bright green leaves, it kind of created this feeling of being under a canopy of little green butterflies.

Another view of the creek as we walked along.

And there we are.

And there he is.
And old greyish white tree that I really found fascinating.
I name him Gandalf.

And I name him Handsome Man on a Log.

So let's look closer.
Yep, there he is.

I can't resist walking across these big trees that have fallen.
No matter where I am, if I see one I have to do it.
I think it may have something to do with that scene in Dirty Dancing.

Our big find - - a tree star.
I tried to keep it to bring home for the kids but since it was already brown and crumbly it didn't quite make it. But we will always have the picture.

Back at the resort, there was this vine-covered gazebo that I was quite fond of.

I took pictures of various parts of the structure so I can build one in my backyard someday.

Another morning we were there, we got into some bird watching. Of course it wasn't that hard. This picture was taken right off our balcony with very little zoom, if any.
There were some really gorgeous birds and all right up in our faces!

Mountains too. Wow, were there mountains. This is the view off the balcony to the left.

And straight down.

And some more birds.

This is what we saw when we woke up and looked out the window every morning.

Or, more specifically, this.
This is actually backed up off the balcony, inside the bedroom.
So pretty.
Try waking up to this view in a room made cozy by the fire you let simmer down as you fell asleep reading...then get up and stretch yourself awake in the crisp mountain air...and see if you ever want to go back home.
Well, but then...try having three sweet and adorable children waiting for you and see how much you still DO want to go home in spite of such a wonderful place!

More of the balcony outside the kitchen.

And just...this big tree. I liked it.

It was a beautiful place, as you can hopefully tell by my humble pictures! We did go into town for an afternoon, for some shopping and dining but mostly we hung out in our quaint and lovely quarters and marveled at the fresh and vivid surroundings. This is definitely the place to stay if you want to be away from it all! If we went again, I would even bring all of our own food so we would really not have to leave! But it was nice to eat at the little cafe that was part of the resort for like, every meal. They had super good breakfast.
Now I want an omelet.
And a bright green butterfly tree.
Guess I'll just have to go back someday!

1 comment:

katilda said...

your nails look so pretty! i spied them in the treestar picture. oh, and now i want to go to sedona, psh.

nompock: the noise that a hickey makes (maybe that's weird to say...gross...i don't know...)