Monday, March 14, 2011

In Honor of Baby Hawkes... THE LIST

So, I have lots of fun things to be blogging about these days. Bethany had a wonderful birthday and we are starting out a wonderful Spring Break! But, alas, my computers (yes, all) are rebelling against the general idea. If I want to include any pictures that is. And, hi, have we met? Pictures are a bit of a must for a Ballard Blog. Anyway, we are most definitely due for a complete system fix up and mix up and since it may be a couple of weeks before that happens, I am going to gracefully fall behind on my blogging (don't want it to feel left out from all other areas of my life, ya know...).
But, I couldn't stay away.
Attribute it to what you will.

As our kids have gone through different phases of babyhood and toddlerhood, I have often found myself considering what our 'best buys' have been. Though clearly coming in second to immense amounts of exhausted, pleading, humble prayer haha...what were those material investments that contributed to our survival in unknown territory? Now that we are pretty solidly completely out of that phase, I thought it time to look back and do what I do best.

Make a list.

Especially since we have a sweet, precious new one coming to our family courtesy of Andrew and Bonnie! Getting excited for their little girl coming in July, my brain sometimes kicks into baby mode again. Just ask my kids. They can rattle off what I have gathered as of yet for sweet baby. Of course, you could also ask Bonnie. Because my kids are not great at keeping secrets. :) (But I like that about them...)

So, in honor of Andrew, Bonnie, and Baby Bump (the cutest baby bump ever, seriously), here is the official Ballard Baby Booty List.
And...you know I mean that in a pirate kind of way, not in a 'B2K Bump Bump Bump' kind of way.
I just made myself uncomfortable typing that.

So, back to the more innocent tone I was previously operating under...


Good Baby Stuff!
(in no particular order whatsoever)

Mesh Feeder!
These things seriously rock. A fantastic way to let your little one have a shot at yummy stuff before he/she could handle actually chewing. Frozen fruit is the favorite way to go, particularly for teething purposes. And yummy purposes.
Word to the wise - - Avoid banana like the plague. Unless you're willing to spend major amounts of time extensively scrubbing the thing, they never recover.


A good baby gate!
Okay. Here's the deal. We have a split level house. Three small sets of stairs inside, a room directly in the middle of one set of stairs, two outside sets of (concrete) stairs, and (used to be) a playroom right off the kitchen which can be a dangerous place for wandering babies.
I can think of eight places we have had baby gates before. All of varying widths, heights, materials, and efficiency.
I remember one time going to Babies R Us to find a new baby gate and as we walked down the aisle, we were literally pointing to each one as we passed it, "Nope, had that one...tried that one...have that one...didn't like that one...' and we ended up buying the only one we had not yet owned. We swore that we would feel fulfilled if we managed to use our lives to create the perfect baby gate. By the time our kids were past the 'dangerous around stairs' phase, we literally ripped out all of our baby gates and swore to never look back.
I look back now only to point out that I think we did eventually find a favorite...though it's not perfect, we ended up owning three or four of them at one time so I guess that speaks for itself!

Summer Infant Sure and Secure Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
The name says it all. :)
And, it usually comes with extensions, which you can also buy more of separately, so even if the measurements aren't quite right, you can add on. It is pressure mounted (very securely so - - see the name), which is nice because it doesn't put any holes in the walls or require many tools to put it together. In fact, it comes with its own little wrench-like thingie to assist in your assembly. It can be opened with just one hand but does require a specific motion (push and slide then lift) so little kids never quite figure it out. And it's way too tall for them to even almost climb over. It will swing either way, so coming or going, you are all set.
Word to the wise - this gate is metal which is great in a lot of ways. Except it does make noise varying from very slight (in the case of when it latches) to horrendous (in the case of being slammed closed). If there are other little children in the house or husbands who forget that you hate loud noises especially when there is a newborn around, this can feel like a big deal. BUT, it is most certainly ideal when there are no older siblings because you can be in control of noise level when baby is sleeping by simply keeping it unlatched.
Regardless, it is still most definitely the best walk-through gate we found. Once babies are rolling, crawling, walking, one of these at the bottom and top of staircases and you're all set!


Multiple Room Monitor!
I don't have a picture for this one because the one we got is no longer on the market for some INSANE reason. Perhaps there wasn't much of a market for baby monitors with 3 units because most people who have 3 babies have them all at once and they usually will be in the same room or something. But here's the deal: Even if I had only one baby, a multiple-room monitor would be a MUST. And here's why: When baby falls asleep, baby falls asleep. And when Mommy needs to shower, needs to go lay down, needs to workout, needs to tackle a project, etc., Mommy needs to do it NOW and without the worry of transferring baby to the room with the monitor so Mommy can hear baby. So, the idea of multiple room monitors applies in that you can put one in the baby's room, one in the family room, or wherever else baby might nap. Then, you just set the receiver to the right channel and you are all set. No need to move baby or move the monitor.
Okay, now here is what I like about our monitor, in case there is a similar one out there...It has THREE channels and you can listen to any one room at a time OR set it to scan between all rooms. It spends 5 seconds on each room in succession. So, when we sleep at night, we go no more than 10 seconds without hearing each room. (Yes, STILL.) And now that the boys share a room, we have the extra monitor out in the playroom so that when I am upstairs working, etc. and the kids are playing/resting downstairs, I can listen in and be aware of their general dealings.
So. It works for one baby or more. Has many uses. Easily my favorite purchase we have ever made.
Word to the wise - Take care in selecting your channel/setting it to scan if one you purchase has this option. We have woken up just sick with regret more than once when we realized that we accidentally were only monitoring one room and the baby crying down the hall had been too faint for us to hear. Or, monitoring the one room that didn't have a sleeping child in it and then we had to wonder if they ever woke up calling for us.
It literally makes me feel sick to my stomach right now writing about it.
Thank heavens they are old enough now to just come get me if they need me!
(But that doesn't mean I am going to take the monitors out of their rooms!)


Boppy!
(I chose this picture because this is the slipcover James had on his. Awww, makes me remember)
So, yes, boppy.
You know the drill...nursing pillow (wraps around your front, supports baby), place to lay baby where they feel secure (as my mom has always said, it's so cruel that babies come from a snug comfy place to a big flat open crib mattress! Yay boppy!), a more comfy way to do 'tummy time' (baby is more propped up so can work at learning to hold that head up without getting a face full of blanket or carpet or something!), a perfect place for baby to lay and feed themselves once they can hold their own bottles, and with close supervision, works well when they start learning to sit up...with it kind of wrapped around their backside, they feel secure enough to try sitting on their own!
Love these things.
And, as shown in the picture, you can buy a plain one and get a couple of slipcovers to trade on and off.
Because they WILL get dirty. :)
Word to the wise - Seriously. Buy an extra slipcover.

Glider!
(I chose this picture because this is the one we had in Ben's room...awww)
Okay, these are pretty easily accessible these days. I think when I had Bethany they were still kind of new. But, it is certainly the kind of rocking chair to have. There are lots of varieties now...my favorite features are the pockets on the sides of the armrests (but you could do without them I suppose...I used them for bibs, burp rags, nursing pads, etc.), and an ottoman most definitely. There are a couple of new kinds that are out now...one I saw that looked more like an armchair and actually swiveled around (looked super comfy, like you could sit indian style in it if you wanted or curl up nice and cozy) and the kind that RECLINE. Oh man, I tell you what, if I were having more kids, this would be ON MY LIST of must-haves. How many times do you get stuck in the rocking chair when baby finally falls asleep and you know that if you try to get up or move, you are doomed to more sleeplessness? No problem, just go from rocking to reclining and fall asleep yourself. Um, yes. Sign me up. Except, of course, these are more expensive than the others (except the arm chair kind...those are hugely expensive!) and sometimes when a baby is coming you can't exactly splurge on everything. But I'm just saying...it would be nice. :)
The regular ones that glide nicely back and forth and give you somewhere to rest your feet work just great!
Word to the wise - If your glider lives through more than one child and you end up with a house of youngins...be aware that the ottoman will be viewed by any and all toddlers as a device with which to harm oneself and others. Gets pretty wicked.


Something like this stuff:

Favorite brand of these nursing pads. By far.


Not the brand I used, I always used something with lanolin in it but I like the idea of this stuff better...the general idea? You will need SOMETHING. :)
Though I wish they had been more creative with the name...


Please oh please, if you are going to be nursing a baby, please get something like this. These can be heated up or put in the fridge. Either way, something like this will fit over or under whatever nursing pads you're using and provide some relief when things are sore and swollen. The ones I had were kind of cloth with gel inside and I liked that because they were really soft and comfortable. But, rather than trying to sleep with warm washcloths wrapped around your you-know-whats and have to forgo the bra that keeps the nursing pads in place, keeping things non-messy...these things are GREAT.

Obviously, get a good nursing bra.
Won't tell you what kind because I haven't shopped around all that much but I recently saw this that might be helpful!

Word to the wise - Nursing, and everything that goes along with it, is a topic that is great to have plenty of input on in case something works for you BUT also something that is greatly personal and individual to each mother and child. Whatever the case may be, always remember that the best feeding experience for your baby is the one that leaves you both calm and happy. :)


Big Flannel Receiving Blankets!
These blankets are not the tiny little ones (though those are great too) and they are not the super duper soft fluffy ones (though those are great too). These are the blankets that will allow you to perfectly swaddle your little one from birth until they are at least six months old! I speak from mucho experience. They are super lightweight which makes it okay to wrap baby in them without leaving them sweltering! They are really soft which, of course, is a must. They are not only big enough to swaddle with but big enough to lay out on the floor for a little play mat, even for a rolling baby.
My favorite brand is at Walmart.
I try to make it a point to buy a set for every person I know having a baby.
Just so happens for a few years, that person was always me.
But, all my sisters will have these in abundance if I have anything to do with it.
These, plus a pacifier (I like NUK), plus the boppy equals comfy cozy sleeping baby!
Word to the wise - For me, the best way to get the comfiest swaddled baby was usually only a matter of a onesie (any heavy duty pjs and they got a little too warm for my liking), plus a swaddled blanket. Once they could break out of the swaddle, then I worry more about putting more on them for sleep. But, when swaddled, they turn into sweet little steam pods! Just enough to ensure sweet dreams!


Long Sleeve No-Feet Jammies!
As long as we're on the subject of comfy sleeping, I just happen to like having a few of these kinds of pjs. I almost prefer them over the feetsie kind (even though the feetsie kind are SO cute) because you can always choose to add socks if you want or just let their little toes breathe. Maybe I ended up liking these kind the best because my babies liked to sleep swaddled. If they were just laying flat in their crib I suppose I would have liked their feet covered. But then, like I said, you can always add socks.
Word to the wise - Babies are allowed to stay in their pajamas all day.
...right?


Swivel Wheel Jogger Stroller!
So. We have certainly had our share of strollers. And all of them have served a purpose to be sure. My strollers hold a special place in my heart because they have allowed to (occasionally) leave my house during the past five years.
Besides the triple stroller which, let's be honest, not everybody needs one of those even though it is freaking awesome and changed my life, this jogger is my favorite. If you think you will go anywhere on foot once you have a little one, a jogger is fantastic. And if you think you would rather not have back neck and arm pain, a SWIVEL FRONT WHEEL is of prime importance. I love everything about this stroller. It has pockets (though no cup holders like my other double jogger, bless its heart...though the mesh pockets on this one could easily hold a water bottle), it practically pushes itself, and my kids argue over whose turn it is to sit in this stroller because it is supremely comfortable for them. Tons of leg room, even for my older kids who are getting a little big for strollers. (Say it ain't SO!) This is a great stroller...I know there are a few really super awesome brands out there (like BOB, etc.) that are waaay coveted but surrriously...this one is great. I wouldn't spend more on any of those strollers necessarily. This one feel very luxurious and yet it wasn't all that expensive. We got ours at Sports Authority. Google 'em and you'll find them elsewhere as well.
But, regardless, if you like another brand, more power to you...just remember - - swivel wheel.
Word to the wise - If you at all plan to have more than one child not in school at any point in time (meaning, you have a child, and are pretty sure you will have another one within five years' time), seriously consider a double jogger. Multiple babies/toddlers in a household requires walks for the sanity of all. And to spend money on a nice stroller, then have to buy a double stroller...it can feel obnoxious. Trust me, I look back and wish to the high heavens I had spent money on a triple jogger! Haha, but really, it might feel a little silly when you're not having twins but at least...think about a double. It isn't always in the stars, but if you can swing it, you will be glad you thought ahead and went for the double.


Hangout Spots for Baby at Various Stages!
Like all of the following...
Ben slept in this so much when he was a newborn. There are a lot of good bouncers out there I am sure but I liked this one because it was the comfiest looking, snuggling them right in, and it softly vibrated which is soothing for babies.
(This one is a Boppy Papasan-type one)

This one is pretty darn fun looking but anything they can lay on and look at stuff...you're pretty good to go!

My mom has one of these at her house that all of my babies were gaga over. These are neat because even if they're not sitting up yet, it helps them do so. They can spin around and look at whatever they want, and the whole thing kind of rocks so that's fun.

Okay, this is not the kind we had, we had a jumper that took up a lot of space but that is why I note this one here...it takes up like, zero space and is probably just as fun for little bouncers. James LOVED jumping in our jumper thing. It is hilarious to watch babies get so excited and flail their legs...which makes them bounce...which surprises them...which makes them excited...which makes them flail their legs...etc.

A swing is just about a MUST. The only MUST in this part of the list. I prefer the papasan ones, once again, because they are more comfy for baby. The kind that swing sideways with an open top like this...perfect.
James literally slept day and night in his swing that was similar to this until he was a YEAR OLD. Yeah. Really. And he was NOT a small baby. It was hilarious looking.
Word to the wise - for all of the above...INVEST IN 'D' BATTERIES. When they are on sale, buy them. No joke, you will go through them like crazy, especially if your baby likes the swing.


A crib toy!
Hahaha, this is the kind of crib toy James had and I had to use this picture from a review I saw online because look at the chubby little blonde baby! Awww, it's like James!!!
Anyway, these things can be really great because they soothe baby in their crib when you lay them down and they are not sure they want to be alone. The little fishies (or whatever any particular model has) keep them company. I liked this one because that little red thing in the middle is a little crab that spins. When baby bats at it, as they will, it initiates the lights and soft soothing noises. So, they can kind of start it up themselves when they flail their arms. Then they get mesmerized and forget what they were flailing their arms about.
Another one we had at one point projected something onto the ceiling and that was super awesome. I don't remember what brand that was. Anything that has a soft light and plays soft music or nature noises is what you need. Having a way for baby to instigate the light and music and projecting pictures...those are bonuses. Pretty nifty ones.
Word to the wise - D BATTERIES


Wipe warmer!
Okay, okay, maybe this isn't a necessity (but not everything about this list is) but all I know is if I were baby, I would appreciate it.
'Nough said.
Word to the wise - These actually get quite warm to the touch on the bottom if I remember right so you don't want to put it within baby's reach at the changing table.


Diaper Genie!
We tried a couple of different kinds of these things but the overall vote is for the original. What the Diaper Genie has on the Diaper Champ and others is that even though you have to push the diaper down inside of the disposal chute, once it's in, each diaper is individually wrapped in the trash bag, leaving absolutely no smell behind.
Unless you want to take out every single smelly diaper to the outside trash every time, this is well worth the investment.
And, for on the go...

Diaper Baggies!
These save you when you have to throw away a stinky diaper in a public place like the grocery store bathroom or the mothers' lounge at church or your in-laws' home.
Just a little baggie for the diaper that contains the smell so you can put it in a regular trash can without being offensive. (though when at someone's house I would still take it to an outside garbage can even though it is baggied up, but for public places, it does the trick.)


And for when they're ready for a sippy cup...

Klean Kanteen!
These have been definitely worth the investment. We literally could not function without our collection of klean kanteens. (though I do hate it when, in an effort to be clever, people use k's instead of c's...) Anyway, with all the gross and awful things floating around in plastic these days, this is one place where it is far from impossible to avoid. For a few bucks more than you would spend on a nasty plastic one you will eventually throw out, you get a sippy cup/water bottle that will last forever. Seriously, these things last forever. They have to, they're stainless steel. And when baby is older, you just trade in the sippy lid for a sport top. Bethany takes one to school as a water bottle. The kids always have them by their bed for a nighttime drink if their throats get dry. When we go somewhere, I throw them in my purse for an on-the-go drink.
These things are worth their weight in gold.
Word to the wise - when a temper tantrum sets in, this is the first thing you want to put out of reach. They can do serious damage to toes, shins, glass table tops, computer keyboards, and siblings' fingers.



Whew!
Okay, I think that brings my list to an end.
I am pretty sure this was a form of therapy for me!
A lot of this stuff is not necessary and a lot of it is subject to personal opinion only. Some of it is easy to find and buy and some of it might break the bank a bit. But, I just listed out what JC and I have discussed before as being indispensable resources for sanity and also things that just came to my mind as I went.
I have to say, it's been fun. I remember so well these days. They make me cringe a little, cry a little, and miss them a little.
But just a little. I love the phase we're in. If I were to make a list someday about this phase it would include things like Toy Story 3, no shoes always, face paint, princess lip gloss, Spiderman underwear, Bear Naked Double Chocolate Cookies, fruit juice pops, Clementine Cuties, sidewalk chalk, giant coloring books, sesamestreet.org, backwards baseball hats, and bicycles. And so much more.
Each phase is hard and each phase is fun. The joy is in realizing the fun part.

And the fun part for me usually involves making a list of some sort...

SO, Bonnie, if you still didn't know what to register for, maybe this will at least get your mind rolling and I can count myself somewhat useful. :)

6 comments:

katilda said...

i suddenly feel overwhelmed about babies. good thing the rest of you are practicing first and can tell me all the goods.

mingl: when you get halfway in the door at a ward activity and realize there's a boy there you do NOT want to see so you grip your roommate and do a U-turn for the nearest fake foliage. you see, it's not a full mingle.

Kenton Hawkes said...

This is a great list. But did you really think that you could include something called "nipple butter" and not expect your dad to have something to say? But now that I'm here...what can I say..? Recent experience has taught me that sometimes it's best to just back away from the keyboard...

WHITE said...

I agree with a lot of the things you listed...except 1 very huge thing.

When purchasing the much needed swing. Buy one that plugs in! :) They didn't come out with these little gems until Brady was born but we ended up with one and it was the best thing that happened to us.

Rowdy's swing needed batteries so we ended up having to rob several banks when he was a baby so we could afford to keep his swing...swinging!

The "baby swing" was the best thing that ever happened to the D battery. :)

Good luck to your cute sister in law!

Hawkes said...

YAY!!! I am going to print this post out when I go to register! I also thought it funny to read nipple butter because I cannot see you saying the word Nipple. ha ha I also love the food mesh thing. Thanks SO SO SO much for this post!

Adam and Emily said...

all that stuff is great and a must!!! particularly the swing. sam sleeps in that every night and i'm not asamed!!

Katie and Howard said...

Hi there! :)
It would be fun if we could meet up sometime! We're off of Cooper and Guadalupe. our address is 444 W. Princeton :)