Wednesday, March 17, 2010

kids.


It's spring break.
Bethany only has school three days a week and for only 2 1/2 hours at a time. But, for some reason, not having that in the schedule this week is so liberating. Clean all day, lazy in the grass all day, movies on and off all day, swing all day, or any combination of the above is possible.

This morning we are downstairs outside.

I am behind on my blogging (when does that ever happen?) and usually will not allow myself to skip ahead at all...writing about the present when the past is not yet accounted for leaves me feeling uneasy.

But the kids are happy and I am alternating between involvement and observation. They were amusing me just now so I grabbed my handy dandy laptop.


Most recent conversation:

Bethany: James, you be the daddy.
James: K
Bethany: Who is the mommy?
James: I dunno.
Bethany: Well, who do you want to marry?
James: I donwantu.
Bethany: Yes you do. We're supposed to get married.
James: No, I don't want to. (more forcefully this time)
Bethany: Yes James, you have to find a friend who you love the best and you marry them. A girl. Someone who wants to follow Jesus like you. (This tickled me. We have been talking a lot about Isaac and Jacob's choices in spouses since I have been preparing lessons about this for Sunday School and Bethany always asks what I'm learning about. Then, to my delight, she always wants to talk about it all in very much depth. Prepares me for the teenagers.)
James: No!!
Bethany: Yes!
James: NO!!!!
Bethany: Uh! (in frustration) Ben?
Ben: What Mahnuhnee?
Bethany (Mahnuhnee): Who do you want to marry?
Ben: What?
Bethany: Who do you want to marry? A girl.
Ben: What?
Bethany: Uh! (in frustration)
Ben: Uh! (in amusement)
Bethany: (to all) I am going to marry Rowdy. (our little friend who moved to Utah! Made a reappearance this week for a visit! Yay!) Or...I might marry Buzz and Woody. (of Oystry - - Toy Story - - fame)
Boys: (stare at her, slightly amused, waiting for the punch line)
Bethany: Just kidding! You only marry one. (thinks) But...Mama married two.
(everyone shrugs it off and moves on to a new topic of conversation...something about the sandbox.)


Ah, to embrace the rules of communication that kids abide by.

Now back to the sandbox...

P.S. I dedicate this post to my sister, Katie. When I sent her pictures of the kids playing outside this morning, she expressed her envy. Slaving away in her cubicle at 'Make-A-Wish" she says, "My soul aches behind a buttoned cardigan and hosiery."
And though mine aches just a little at my stained t-shirt, cut-off shorts, un-shaven legs and crocs, I totally know what she means. And I don't feel a bit sorry for myself.
So, Katie, our morning antics go out to you!
(...call in sick tomorrow and join us...)

(This is how you eat trail mix on spring break)

2 comments:

katilda said...

This made me so happy!!!! Bethany's conversation w/ the boys about marriage is eerily similar to conversations i try to have with boys MY age about said topic. Bahaha. I love it.

Today's word: Linthen. Telling someone to pay attention to you when you're wearing a retainer. "LINTHEN TO ME!"

Carrie said...

poor bethany with those two little boys who aren't cooperating! what WILL she ever do!? so cute. :)
i totally know what you mean about spring break. although for me its full blown fabulous... i remember when just that slight relief was all i needed.